Chapter 6: Sight

Cecelia

Sitting on the couch, surrounded by darkness, I feel a chill run through me. My mother is worried about me leaving her here again, but I must find a way out of this place for the both of us. As I try to put this all into perspective, we quietly stare at the fire.

Looking at my mother, I ask, "When I left here and entered my body, what happened to you?"

"Oh... It was horrible, Cece. All the lights went out, and I was alone. It's like someone flipped a switch and everything disappeared. The darkness surrounded me and I felt nothing but dread." She answers.

Sitting up, I then say, "Is it possible that you have been in here the entire time? That someone has kept you locked away without you knowing. I mean, if I left, and you stayed then..."

"None of this makes sense, does it? If this is all in your mind, then why would I still be here when you are gone. Why do I still have my powers if I'm dead? Cece, maybe this is my prison and somehow you got dragged inside, but why did it turn from heaven to this dark hole." She says with tears in her eyes.

I then say, "So before I arrived, you and my father were having the time of your lives. What was it like?"

"Well, we were young again and in love. Anything I wanted would just appear before me. Your dad was so romantic, and it was like we started all over again. But this time it wasn't an arranged marriage. We actually started dating, and he won my heart all over again." She says and I can see how happy this made her.

That's interesting, considering my father murdered her one true love. Or maybe that was just a lie.

When she leans back and gets comfortable, I ask, "Mom... Do you remember the night you died?"

"Yes, of course, I do. That evening, I was feeling a little off. Actually, I thought maybe I was catching a cold. After getting into bed and my chest began to hurt. It felt as though it was about to burst right out of my chest. The pain was very fast, yet excruciating, and I couldn't breathe." She says and now I wish I'd never asked.

I cry, "Oh mom."

"It was so quick, Cece. I gasped for air and then just drifted off to sleep. It was peaceful for the most part, sweetheart. Then, I remember rising out of my body and hovering above it. I could see the entire room while floating up towards the ceiling. Suddenly there was this bright light, and I followed it. The feeling of warmth washed over me, and I was relieved. My biggest fear was that I'd go the other way. Anyway, once I reached the end, your handsome father was there waiting for me with opened arms." Mom says, and I can almost picture him.

Smiling at my mom, I say to her, "I've only ever seen the one picture of daddy."

"Oh, your father had the most beautiful blue eyes and his hair was black as night. Liam was a very handsome man back in the day. When I arrived, he was so young and virile again. Then I saw that my white hair was back to golden blonde once more, and I felt fabulous." She says, and I'm confused.

Looking at her I ask, "Mom, didn't dad have green eyes and blonde hair like the rest of us?"

"No, your father was talk, dark, and handsome, dear. You said there was a picture of us? I don't remember ever having a picture of us together." She says, and this is odd.

I nod and say, "Yes, it's of the four of us together. We all look so similar."

"Well, I don't know what you are talking about, but that was not a picture of your father... The only man who looked like that was... Gabriel. His hair was like spun gold and his eyes were a deep, dark green. There was only one picture of him, but it was destroyed, I thought. Where did you find it?" She asks, and I can see that this is upsetting her.