Ch. 10: Why?

Steve's POV:

I wake up again from unconsciousness, I fainted when I told Sodapop to leave. Stupid pregnancy side effects. My parents are sleeping on chairs. I feel bad. They don't have a bed to sleep on because of me. 

I sit up and started thinking. Do I love Sodapop? I mean, I feel like I should since I have a crush on him.  Does 'crush' mean in love? Oh man, I think I am in love with him. I smile to myself. I feel stupid. He loves me so much, yet I kind of rejected him. I told him I needed to think. About us, and I realize that I do love him. So much. Ugh.

I reminded myself on accident about earlier today. My dad slapping me, calling me a stupid bitch and a whore. Sodapop telling me that he was obsessed with me. I kind of find it creepy that Sodapop is obsessed with me, but he ain't the only one. Josh Wilson also has a crazy obsession with me. He currently has a 5 year sentence to prison for attempted rape and kidnapping. I'm scared that he'll try to escape from prison to try to go after me again. I started crying softly. My mom woke up and noticed me crying and came by my side.

All she did was stroke my hair. I kept crying as I kept thinking. I told Sodapop to leave, when I actually need him here now. I regretted telling him to. I realized that my mom also lied to me about my dad not caring about my sexuality.

"Mom," I whisper, "why did you lie to me?"

"About what?"

"That dad supported me if I was bisexual."

"I'm sorry for lying to you. I just wanted you to be happy. Your dad does support the lgbtq+ community, but he doesn't want you to be part of it because he was afraid that you'd end up pregnant. You know how protective he is of you. You're also his only baby boy," she smiled when she said baby boy, "and I'm also sorry for not telling you that you have Maleginaitis."

She silently cried while looking at my hand she's holding, I continue to think. If I can have children, does that make me weird? That I'm not a normal boy? I played football before I dropped out with Sodapop, I drank alcohol, flirted with people, and had fun. Now that I'm going to be a parent, I need to give all that up. Give up the fun life I had.

I feel weak as well. I've gotten soft because of Sodapop and our baby. Our baby. I thought.

I remove my hand from my mom's grasp and place both my hands on my stomach. I'm scared for this child's life. Josh is going to try to go after me, and I don't want him to hurt me or my baby. I hope the gang accepts me for being pregnant. I just want to be happy, but us greasers never have a happy life. I just want things to change, but it's probably never going to happen.

"What was your reaction when you find out you were pregnant with me?" I asked my mom suddenly.

"I was happy, even though I was 15. Your grandparents were beyond upset, but they didn't want me to abort you, so they accepted my pregnancy."

"You were 15?"

"Yeah, I'm 32. Didn't you know?"

"No, I thought you were 40." I said giggling.

She gave me a weird look. "Do you think I'm old Steve?"

I nodded while giggling.

She giggled as well.

"What about dad? How did he react? And how old was he?"

She hesitated. She looked like she didn't want to tell me.

"Mom?"

She sighed heavily. "He was 19."

"What?"

"Your dad was drunk, he raped me, even though we were dating."

"Mom!" I exclaimed, "You were a minor!"

She cried, and I angrily threw a pillow at my dad. He instantly woke up.

"DAD!"

He rubbed his eyes. "What?"

I got out of my bed and grabbed my dad by his shirt and stood him up. He was at least 6 inches taller than me, but he hurt my mom so I didn't give a damn.

"You raped my mom?"

He looked at my mom in pity and back to me. 

"She was 15, dad! Why did you hurt her? YOU SICK PRICK!" I try to hit him, but he grabbed my wrists. 

"Stop, Steve! You'll faint again."

I stopped immediately. I forgot I have a baby growing in me. 

"I want to talk to you when we leave here, and when is that?" I pointed my finger at him.

"Tomorrow." My mom says.

I sighed heavily. My mom walked in front of my dad and hugged him. I don't understand. Why does my mom love my dad if he raped her.

Why?

-

Thanks for reading :)