Pilot 1.4

I woke up with someones strong arms around my waist. I turned around looking at John B who was peacefully sleeping. He looked so calm and cute. Snap out of it Har. Remember! No Pogue-on-Pogue macking.

John B slowly opened his eyes looking into my own. His brown ones boring into my green ones.
"Hi." He whispered. "Hi." I said smiling.

"Can I do something?" he asked me rubbing circles on my back. "What?" I asked playing with his hair. "This." He said as he slowly leaned in kissing me. I was shocked for a second and he quickly pulled away looking at me. "I'm sorry. I'm so sor-" I interrupted him by kissing him and giggling softly. "Don't be. It's fine." I smiled at him, giving him a peck on the lips and getting up to go to the bathroom.

"So, how are you feeling?" I asked coming back to the bed. "Like I've been hit my a truck." He said rubbing his head.

"And how's your eye?" I asked softly tracing the area around his eye that was bruised up. "Like I've been punched in the face." he laughed. I chuckled as he pulled me in for a kiss.

But a knock on the door interrupted us.

"Sorry to break in like this, but DCS called" Sheriff Peterkin said walking into the room. John B and I shared a look. "They wanted me to check on you. See how you're doing?" Peterkin said as John B and I walked out of the room. "So, how are you, besides the--" Peterkin asked John B as she mentioned on his bruised up eye.

"Oh, no, I'm - I'm great. Yeah, fantastic. Uh... Thanks for coming by." John B answered as he looked at me. He turned around and went to grab the beer bottles that were laying around the room.

"I'm so glad to hear you say that, John B, but I heard a few things that worried me." Peterkin said looking towards me. "Let me see if I can remember." She said looking like she's thinking.

"Oh, yeah. One of the things I heard was that your Uncle Teddy, your guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months." She said looking at the picture of John B's uncle.

"Yeah, that's false." John B said looking at me, unsure. "You don't have to say anything. I know it's true I called the school. They said you used to be a good student, but now you're failin' all your classes." Peterkin said. "You too, Miss Harlow." She said as I raised my eyebrows looking at her. Why is it her problem?

"No. No, I'm only failing one, and it's history. He's a dick. He's out for me-" Peterkin interrupted John B's excuse. "I heard there was a fight on the beach yesterday, and a gun was involved." Peterkin said walking towards John B and I. The Kooks. Of course they had to go snitch. They wouldn't be Kooks.

"Okay. Gun? No. Did I get in a dustup? Yes, but was there a gun? No. No way." John B said while picking more beer bottles up. I went and sat on the couch. "That's okay. I know who it was. I'll get to him. All I'm worried about right now is making sure you're in a safe home." She said gazing around the house. "Yeah, super safe. Super sound, sturdy. You know?" John B answered while knocking on a desk nearby. "And Uncle T's coming, so..." "That's what he told you?" "Yeah." "If he is coming home then I think you should be allowed to stay." "Thank you." Peterkin and John B conversed as I watched them in amusement.

"But if I stick my neck out for you, you have to help me." Of, fucking, course. Tip for tap. "Let me see, how can you help me? Oh, I know. So, a body was found in the Marsh yesterday. Were you in the Marsh yesterday?" Peterkin asked walking up to John B and looking at him and then at me.

"Yeah, we were fishing for some drum." I answered for us. "You catch anything?" she asked suspiciously. "Nah, we were skunked." John B lied. "Strange. Fishing's usually good after a storm." she said squinting her eyes at us. "All sorts of things get stirred up. You come across a wreck yesterday?" She asked me, piercing her eyes into me. "No." I said shrugging my shoulders.