Midsummers 5.3

I was sitting in front of a fire next to JJ.

I moved my hair the side and laughed at something JJ said. All of a sudden everyone shut up, looking at me. I turned to them furrowing my eyebrows. "What?" I asked them.

Kie pointed to a fading purple mark on my neck. "What's that?" She asked. JJ smirked looking at me. "Yeah, Har, what is that?" He asked.

"Nothing!" I croak, blushing. JJ chuckled at my shame. I turned and glared at him.

"You gave this to me, shut up!" I said sternly to him. He quickly shut up looking away, now his turn to blush.

"So, are you guys dating or something?" John B asked eyeing us down. I smile looking down at my lap.

"Yeah, she's my baby girl." JJ said pulling me by my waist into him and kissing my temple.

"Pay up." Kie said to John B and Pope. They both groaned and handed her a chocolate bar. I looked at them confused.

"They said that you guys weren't going to date, and I said that you were, so we placed a bet on it and whoever loses has to give the other one or one's their favorite chocolate bar." Kie smiled victoriously as she bit down on one of the chocolate bars. JJ and I chuckled.

"Hey, so anyway guys. My dad's already gonna kill me. So what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope asked us. John B looked at JJ and made gun motions with his hands.

JJ turned to Pope. "Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed." JJ says looking towards me.

"Ready for this?" John B said. "Yeah." Pope answered curiously.

"So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant." John B explained.

"Oh, my God. Here we go again with this." Pope said.

"No. All right, wait. Hear him out, all right?" JJ said to his friend before turning to me and grabbing my hand, squeezing it slightly.

"It's been here the whole time." John B smiled. "It's on the island." He looked at Kie.

"Are you serious?" She asked excited. "Oh, my God." She said letting out a chuckle.

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope said leaning towards John B.

"I'm sure you would, but can I please present you with evidence, sir?" John B asked him walking to his bag.

"Proceed."

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny." John B showed them.

"Who the hell's that?" Kie questioned.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck." John B says opening the letter and showing it to Kie.

"What?" She questioned. "Here you go." Kie grabbed the paper, looking at it.

"Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom." John B explained. Kie whistled handing the letter to Pope.

"After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll, please, because that farm is..." We all started to slap our knees imitating a drumroll.

"Tannyhill Plantation." He finished.

"Tannyhill?" Kie was surprised.

"Yeah. So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decide to lynch him." John B finishes.