The Lucky Compass 2.2

"John B, can you drive me home?" I asked when we left the chicken pen. He looked at me and nodded, furrowing his eyebrows when I didn't call him by his nickname.

When I moved here when I was 7, the first person I met was John B. We met when my father took me to an ice cream parlor in town. My dad bought me ice cream and when he handed it to me, I quickly turned and bumped into John B, smudging my ice cream all over his shirt.

His father laughed as he handed a tissue to his son. I giggled when I saw John B looking like a lost puppy.

"Hi, I'm Harlow. Can we be friends?" I asked the lost boy. He looked up from his smudged shirt at me and smiled. "Hi I'm John B and yeah. Best friends. Hug?" He asked me and I screamed running away from him so he doesn't get me dirty. I ran up to my father and hid behind his legs. "Dad, can Johnny and I play?" I asked my father as I pointed to a playground near the ice cream parlor. "Yeah, go ahead." My father smiled. I squealed and jumped on John B's back. "To the playground!" I yelled lifting my arm up.

I heard Big John and my father laughing. Since then, they were also, ironically best friends.

"Hey, are you okay?" John B asked when we sat in the bus. "Yeah, I'm fine John B." I turned my head away from him looking out the passengers window.

"Okay. I know you're not okay. What's wrong. I mean besides the fucking gang members. You never call me by my name, always by my nickname." He asked genuinely concerned about me while grabbing my arm and interlocking our fingers as I looked at him. I can't help but feel bad, I really like John B but I also insanely like JJ and I'm leading them both on.

" I said, I'm fine, John B. No thing's wrong." I pulled my hand away from his. He looked at me with hurt in his eyes. I just turned my head back looking out the window, tuning out of the world.

"We're here." John B snapped me out of the trance. "Thanks." I said while getting out of the bus and closing the door, starting to walk towards my house. This is a dreadful world. I turned around to se John B still in the driveway, a contemplating look on his face.

He shook his face and started the bus up again, backing out of my driveway. I'm sorry. I thought to myself as I saw John B leaving. I hurt you.

~☆~

The next morning I woke up to the smell of pancakes. Yes! Oh, thank you brother! I think to myself as I walked out of my room and into the kitchen.

"Good morning, Harls." My brother greeted while flipping a pancake.

"I fucked up." I said sitting at the table in our kitchen. I looked at my brother dreadfully.
"Why?" He asked turning around to look at me.
"I think I like 2 guys, and I think I hurt them both because I led them on." I gram my head in my hands. My head suddenly started hurting really bad.

He looked at me with sympathy in his eyes. "May I know, who are the two guys?" He asked raising an eyebrow. "JJ and John B." I said looking up at him fiddling with my fingers. I think this is a bad idea. What if he tells them? I hope he won't. I'm his sister he wouldn't do that to me.

"If I was you I'd just wait and see who makes the first move. You know, like asking you out?" He poured another pancake on the pan. "And then you see if you like the him. If not, the other one is where your heart belongs to. The one you truly love." turning around with his spatula, he explained. Love? But I don't even love myself, how am I supposed to love another person. Sure, we all tell each other we love them, but how many times have we said it, and didn't mean it?

"Yeah..." I mutter going to grab some pancakes for myself. I took 3 pancakes and put some syrup on them, munching on them. After I was done I went to the bathroom to take a quick shower.