Midsummers 5.1

Third person.

The blonde sat in the chair waiting for Sheriff Peterkin. His mind wandering to what Harlow told him. It broke him to see and hear her cry. 'I love you.' The last words he heard from the girl.

Did she really mean it? He thought to himself. Or maybe it was in the heat of the moment, maybe she didn't mean it. His mind wandered again, him getting worried.

"You're lika a little rock in my shoe. I shake my foot, I think I've gotten it out, then dang, there it is again." Peterkin said walking into the office, breaking JJ out of his thought.

"Maybe watch where you're stepping." JJ said leaning in the chair.

"That little rock on the back of my heel makes me want to crush it." She said as she sat down on the chair opposite of him. "Okay." JJ hesitated.

"Unlawful discharge of firearm." The sheriss began to count the crimes JJ has committed. JJ crossed his arms watching her.

"Trespass on protected habitat. Felony destruction of property. All in the last two weeks. You're on a roll, chief." She said looking at more papers.

"You think I'm gonna rat anybody out, you got the wrong idea." JJ shook his head.

"I know your little teen brain doesn't like to think ahead, but I want you to come with me to uncharted territory." JJ looked at the sheriff confused.

"The future. How you gonna feel six months from now, sitting in juvenile prison in Wadesbro? What will Harlow think of you? " She asked JJ. He chewed the inside of his lips, clenching his jaw. It angered him that she brought her into this.

"You know these two?" The Sheriff put in front of JJ two pictures. They were criminal pictures of the two guys who attacked us.

"My question was, do you know these two?" Peterkin asked the boy again walking around the table.

JJ waited for a moment, contemplating, before answering the sheriff.

"They..." He started still uncertain if he should tell her. He looked at the sheriff before telling her. "They broke into John B's house, and... then they chased us through the Marsh. Other than that I have no idea." JJ flipped the truth and left some parts out.

"Here's a more recent photo." Peterkin aid placing a two more photos on the table. The pictures made JJ's stomach turn and twist in disgust. The bodies were demented, one of the men had a missing arm while the other had half of his torso gone. They all had shark bites all over their bodies.

"Somebody gaffed them, then used them for chum." JJ gagged as he looked at them. "Whatcha think, bull shark?" Peter King questioned the now sick boy.

"Here's the bad news, chief. Whoever killed these two meni is still out there, and I got reason to believe their next target is a friend of yours. John B." She sat on her desk explaining the situation to the boy.

"You kids don't think you're the only ones after the Royal Merchant now, do you?" She asked. He looked up at her baffled and in surprise. "And, yeah. I know about that, too." She whispered to JJ getting up from the table.

"Okay, Sheriff Peterkin, I can promise you he's not on it anymore." JJ tried to convince her.

"So you say. I'm just trying to keep him safe. I want you to tell your friend John B to come in and talk to me, and let's see if we can keep you out of Wadesbro." She picked up some papers of her dask and walked out the door.

JJ was mad but scared at the same time. He didn't want to go to jail, because he wouldn't see his friends nor Harlow. But he didn't want to go home, not with his dad. He's going to beat him half to death. He knows it. He was scared.