The Bell Tower 9.2

"Good news for the residents of Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area... should be functional within 24 hours." The man on the radio announced. We were parked in a old parking spot with a old roof with weeds.

I was laying in the middle of John B and JJ. We pulled the back seats down so that we could sleep, seeing that we couldn't go home because the police was looking for all five of us. We had the trunk open so that we could get fresh air. My brother tried to call me but I turned off my phone. I don't want him to get involved in this.

We heard the sirens and JJ pulled himself up looking out the front window. He laid back down and pulled me close to him. John B looked at us sadly and then looked at the roof of the car. He missed Sarah.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-" The radio man continued. Kie sighed and turned off the radio.

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but... Who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?" JJ said. I grab the blunt out of his hand and take a puff as he continues.

"So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of Lord of the island, got the government on speed dial kind of person, and the accused is John B, who is pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment." JJ explained to us and put his hat on my head. I hand him back the blunt and sit up.

"Thanks." John B tells him. I look back at John B with a face of sadness. He closed his eyes and covered them with a hand.

JJ saw that this bothered me. John B is my best friend and seeing him like this, broken, helpless. It gets me angry that someone can turn a fucking murder on a kid. JJ put his hand on my back and traced shapes on it. This calmed me down a bit and I hugged my knees to my chest.

"Shit." Pope said rubbing his forehead.

"Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" JJ said looking at John B.

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah will bail me out." John B told him.

"She did see the whole thing." I say. "And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope asked me.

"Not happening, bro. Okay? We've gotta get you off the island." JJ said getting up and leaning on his elbow. I adjusted the hat on my head as JJ took a puff.

"The ferry. It's the only way." Kie added.

"Yeah. Exit stage while you still can. Before they have the entire island on lock down." JJ told him.

"Guys, just get down." Kie told us. I laid down as I heard another police siren pass us.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B." Pope tells him.

"Yeah. You can't stay here, man." JJ said laying down beside me.

~☆~

We sat in a line. John B's seat was still down so that no one could see him. Pope want out to get a flier with John B's face on it. JJ and I were sitting in the back seat with John B while Kie was in the passenger seat.

"Okay, okay." Pope said walking towards us with the paper looking alerted. I've gotta admit this wasn't our smartest idea.

"Pope, can you act normal?" Kie asked him trying to look not suspicious. "So, um... Okay, so, bad news. The ferry is closed, and there's this." Pope said handing a paper to Kie out the drivers window. Kie looked alerted while she handed us the paper. JJ and I looked at it with horror while Pope got in the car.