Untitled Part 11

Hiei awoke as soon as the sun came up. He stretched and looked over at Kiren’s window. He tilted his head a little when he realized it was open. ‘Didn’t she have it closed last night?’ he thought to himself.

He jumped from his spot on the tree to her window. He looked around an empty room with no Kiren in sight. He walked down to the kitchen to see if she was making breakfast or something since she seemed to enjoy doing that, but she wasn’t there either.

Kurama walked into the kitchen to see Hiei deep in thought. He smiled as he walked over to the fridge to grab something to drink.

“Something on your mind, Hiei?”

Hiei looked up at him with a slight glare, “Nothing that concerns you, Fox”

Kurama chuckled, “If you’re looking for Kiren, she’s not here. I’m not sure where she is.”

Hiei closed his eyes, “Hn, like I would care. I have better things to do than worry about a stupid human girl like her.”

He left and went outside leaving Kurama with a warm smile on his face, “Whatever you say, Hiei.”

He shook his head and went about making breakfast since it was obvious that Kiren wasn’t going to for once.

Hiei walked towards the forest that was by the temple, already having a good idea of where Kiren had run off to so early in the morning. After a few minutes, he arrived at the clearing that he always found her training at. He leaned against a nearby tree watching her.

‘The fox is getting annoying. I’m going to have to start distancing myself from her,’ he thought to himself.

Kiren sat cross-legged concentrating on her hands, working on her fireballs that never seemed to want to get any bigger than a quarter before they exploded. After another one had exploded on her, she rested her face in her hands.

Dammit Kiren, get your shit together here! Don’t think about Hiei like that, you know better. Nothing’s ever going to come from it and you shouldn’t even be thinking about these things anyway! I need to distance myself from that demon,’ she screamed in her head.

She took a deep breath and slowly let it out. She closed her eyes and put her hands out in front of herself palms up. Clearing everything from her mind except for flames, she concentrated those flames to her hands. Feeling warmth in her hand, she pictured more intense flames in her head. When she felt the increase of heat in her hand even more, she chanced opening her eyes and looking at her hands. She smiled when she saw that her whole hand was engulfed in flames.

“Good job,” came a voice from behind her causing her to jump. With the surprise, she also lost her flames. She pouted at her hands and then turned her head to look behind herself to see Hiei standing there with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face.

She glared at him a little, “Thanks.”

He couldn’t help but smile at her glare, “What’s that look for?”

Kiren looked up at the sky, “You interrupted me and made me lose my concentration.”