Untitled Part 16

Hiei couldn’t manage to fall asleep. What the fox had snapped at him kept going around in his mind.

‘Admit that I like her huh? I’ll admit I feel something for her. Is it really that I have those kinds of feelings for her? I know I feel protective of her, and I was really scared of losing her when she was taken by Genji. And those memories I got to see pissed me off so much.’

He turned and looked at her open window. She had started leaving it open for him after they started hanging out at night together. He got up and jumped through her window, landing soundlessly on her floor. He looked over at her and let a small smile spread on his face when he saw her sleeping form. Her breathing was even, and her face seemed at peace. He brought over the chair that was at her desk and straddled it backwards watching her sleep.

‘I don’t know how to respond to ‘feelings’ that I feel when I look at her. I never thought I would be put into this situation. Before I met Kurama and Yuske, I thought that I was forever meant to be alone. I didn’t think I would ever feel like I belong anywhere. Then I met Kurama and Yuske and started feeling like I had a place in this world. And then I met her. She annoyed me at first but as time went by I got this sense of calming. I blame the others for this but I suppose now I can somewhat understand the fox’s reasons for saving his human mother.’

He reached out his hands and brushed back her bangs. An idea hit him as he touched her forehead. Now that she was actually conscious, he might be able to get into her head while she was asleep. He moved out of the chair and sat on the bed, putting his forehead to hers. He closed his eyes and concentrated on her mind. He shut out everything else around him.

Everything was pitch black at first. Looking around he didn’t see anything. He wasn’t about to give up though. He delved a little deeper, trying to find something. After a while of looking, something finally caught his eye. In a corner somewhere, he saw a little girl with sterling silver eyes and hair sitting next to another little girl with matching eyes and hair. He could almost mistake them as twins.

‘That must be Kiren and Riku. But, wasn’t Riku’s hair brown when we were at Raido’s mansion?’

The two girls looked up at him. The taller of the two spoke.

“What are you doing here? You don’t belong here!”

His eyes widened a little, “You can see me?”

The one who spoke stood up, “Of course we can. We’re the guardians here, we see all who enter.”

He quirked an eyebrow, “Guardians? Guardians of what exactly?”

She crossed her arms and glared at him, “Why do you think we would tell you?”

The smaller one got up and a put a hand on the taller one’s shoulder, “Riku, it’s ok. I’ve seen him in some of the memories. He is precious to my actual self.”

Riku glared at her, “Kiren! You shouldn’t speak so freely!”