Chapter 6

Harper

The poor boy was in hysterics.

As soon as we walked into the packhouse, we were bombarded with questions. Surrounded by Kalen's family. The small deer was so overwhelmed, jumping out of Rue's arms and onto the hardwood floor. His fear was so strong that it caused a forced shift, confirming that he was a deer shifter. 

Goddess, he was beautiful...

The boy, despite his white fur coat, had a darker more sunkissed skin. His hair was honey-colored, his eyes the same baby blue. He had soft dottings of freckles across his flushed cheeks and nose. 

His body was covered in bruises, the deep purple, and greenish-yellow splotches making my stomach roll. I couldn't imagine how much the rogue hurt him. Blood coated the inside of his thighs, trailing upward to his privates. The boy was extremely thin, but his ribs did not poke out. He must have been well fed. if not given more food than we would have expected. 

The boy's eyes were wide and crazed, filled with tears. His body shook as he backed himself into a corner. Where he still sat now, screaming and kicking at anyone who got close to him. Even with the boy's obvious signs of discomfort, they were relentless. Bombarding him with questions and trying to grab at him to assess his wounds. Kalen and I were pushed back, away from the boy. 

"Enough," I yell. Everyone stops, turning to face me. "Can't you see that he's terrified? Everybody back up and give him space. If anyone is to go near him, it's the omegas."

All of them back up, save for the omegas. Leaving Eden, Rayne, Church, Noah, Adrian, and me. Even they keep their distance. Still confused as to what was going on. 

 I look back at Kalen, watching as his adam's apple bobs in his throat. He was trying not to look in Sage's direction. Sage, who was staring at Kalen, catches me looking at him and averts his gaze.

"Hey," I coo, taking a tentative step towards the small boy. "You are going to be okay. We won't hurt you."

I sit on the ground across from him, not moving any closer. The boy sees this, lowering his hands from his face, his screams fading. He tilts his head curiously. 

Slowly. Very slowly, he approaches me. Crawling on his hands and knees to where I sat. He hesitantly grabs onto my hand, his body relaxing a considerable amount. The mating bond was working, making the boy feel safer with me. 

I reach for him, stopping as he flinches away from my touch. I keep my arms open in an invitation, leaving him the option to either stay where he was or let me embrace him. 

He takes it, laying his head onto my chest and allowing me to wrap my arms around him. His tears start up again, dripping down his cheeks. His small hands clutch onto the fabric of my shirt, His body shaking and quivering in my hold. He hiccups, his chest shuddering as he takes quick breaths. 

The boy was so warm, his body giving off a soothing heat. His silky soft hair brushes against my chin, making me shiver. I hold him close, cooing to him as he cries. His body stiffens as another pair of arms wraps around him. 

I sigh, leaning back into Kalen's warm embrace. The boy looks up at Kalen, deciding that he was alright, snuggling close to him as well. Kalen rubs the boy's back, whispering soothing words to him. 

"You're okay, no one will hurt you. You are safe now."

You are safe...

~~~

We found ourselves in a small hospital room, comforting the small deer shifter as one of the pack doctors checks on him.