Chapter 25

Tobias

I run through the woods, tripping over my hooves as I maneuver myself around tree branches and roots. If I were in my human form, I'm sure that tears would be pouring down my face.

The crushing weight of my almost nonexistent bond between Kalen was making my head spin. If I didn't get back to the cave, I'd pass out in the middle of the woods.

I can't focus, my mind in a haze as I stumble into the cave where I once lived with Rogue. I wiggle my way through the small 'doggy door' that Rogue made for me so I wouldn't have to lift the large boulder blocking the entrance.

It had been a couple of months since I had been here last, the layout of the cave seemingly untouched.

I shift into my human form, grabbing some of my old night outfits out of the small chest used to store our clothes. I tug on a large sweatshirt and a pair of sweatpants. I was practically drowning in the fabric but it was the best I had to protect me from the chilly weather.

There was a small stone oven that Rogue made years ago. He invested in a refrigerator that he re-wired so it was powered by the sunlight. I tug it open, sighing at how little food there was left. I couldn't cook anyway, so the raw meat wouldn't do me any good. And the fruits and vegetables would only hold me over for so long.

I glance over at the small box-like room built into the side of the cave. Another small 'doggy door' led inside the room. There was bedding laid out in the space. It was where I slept. Rogue only allowed me to sleep in my deer form so I didn't 'tempt him' with my body.

Rogue had a mattress that was pressed against the far corner of the cave. Thick quilts, just like the one in my room, covered his bed. Sometimes on rare occasions when it was too cold I'd climb in bed with him and he'd let me cuddle close to his body.

There were many weapons kept in another chest next to his bed. A wide selection of guns, knives, spears, and arrows jam-packed into the chest. So in the most extreme cases, I would be able to defend myself if it ever came to it.

I whimper, flopping down onto Rogue's bed, cuddling one of his pillows. I couldn't believe that Rogue was dead. I didn't know how to feel.

On one hand, he left me alone to fend for myself when he knew that Kalen would banish me from the pack. But on the other hand, Rogue was dead! I was finally free from his wrath.

Rogue was right about me. There was great truth to his words. My name wasn't Toby. Well, Toby was a nickname, my real name is Tobias.

Rogue used me to get to Kalen. I willingly spread my legs for Rogue and his friends. I enjoyed spreading my legs for them. Rogue was right to call me a slut. It was the truth, after all.

I didn't want to hurt Kalen. I never intended to hurt him or Harper. I thought that I was helping them. Rogue threatened to skin them alive if I didn't go along with his plans. I love Harper and Kalen. I love my puppies.

Truth is, I didn't know how to do most of the activities in the higher up packets that the pack doctor gave me. I learned a lot from Harper. I felt academically smarter than I had ever been, as Rogue never schooled me on anything.

I actually didn't know how to speak properly. Rogue wouldn't let me speak so I lost the ability by the time I was eight. I couldn't speak if I tried. Sage really was helping me with my words. I was getting better before everything went downhill for me.