Chapter 9

Rue

I sit outside on the porch steps, the cold night wind making me shiver. Two weeks had come and gone. I was slowly beginning to become accustomed to living with wolves.

My leg had mostly healed, the bone fusing back together correctly. Shiloh still has not allowed me to walk on it though. insisting that I use crutches to get around.

I didn't mind him being so overprotective over me though. Sure, it was fucking annoying at times. But it showed how much he cared about me and my well-being.

Shiloh is very sweet. He is a kind and loving mate, far different from the treatment that I was used to. It was so much better than being beaten and starved on a daily basis.

Shiloh liked to kiss me all the time. His lips would press against any exposed skin that he could get ahold of. No matter where he kissed me on my body, his final destination would always be my lips.

He also liked to cuddle. A lot. Too much, if you ask me. When he wasn't off doing his Alpha duties, he would be holding me. Each time, I would bear through the uncomfortable heat of his body pressed tightly against mine. He was happy and I wanted to keep him happy.

I knew that Shiloh was completely different from my previous husband. But it didn't stop me from worrying. I wanted to make Shiloh happy because of I of my fear that Shiloh will turn out to be like him.

I knew my fear was irrational. All Shiloh has shown me is love and affection. Of course, that is how it was with my previous husband. First, he gave me all the love in the world. Then the abuse began.

Shiloh was different. But I would always be cautious. Afraid. What he did do me, I could never forget.

The door creeks open behind me, making me jump. Hunter, Shiloh's brother, walks out onto the porch. A beer bottle in his right hand and his phone in his left.

I only met Hunter once during my stay here. I hadn't seen much of him after that. He seemed nice enough.

I scoot over on the top step to allow room for him to sit if he wanted to. Hunter settles next to me, smiling weakly. He takes a swig of his beer before settling it in between his knees.

"Shiloh tells me that you are very secretive," Hunter says, the smile still present on his face.

"Oh?"

"Maybe it's because we are brothers, but he tells me everything. Doesn't matter if I want to hear it or not. Well, Shiloh is my cousin. I still can't believe that Shiloh isn't my real brother. I... I hate it!"

"Shiloh will always be your brother, Hunter. Even though you are not biologically siblings, you are still brothers. You both have a special bond that no one can take away. You have years upon years of good memories and shared love. You don't have to share the same DNA in order to be family."

"Thank you, Rue. I really needed to hear that. It makes me feel so much better about our situation."

"Does it?"

"It does. The situation was so overwhelming for me when I found out. It was even worse for Kalen. I never thought to view it that way. That the three of us would always be brothers. None of us have had the chance to talk about it. Kalen is busy with his two mates. Shiloh is taking care of you. And my mate is pregnant so I basically get bossed around by her the whole day.