Chapter 8

Kalen

Toby swings his legs back and forth, dangling from the chair in the doctors' office. He hums softly as we wait for the doctor to come back into the room. We were done with his follow up appointment and now all we had to do was sign some papers and we were good to go.

It had been one week since Toby had shown up at the pack border. He was adjusting nicely to pack life. So far he had sat in my office while I worked with Harper, humming his soft tune and watching movies.

The only thing that Toby ever said was 'puppy' or 'puppies' while referring to the wolves around him. Either that or he would hum the same tune over and over again. He seemed to like it, even doing it in his sleep. It seemed to aid in calming him.

The doctor says that it may be mental trauma that causes him to act as if he was a child. That there is a high chance that he will act this way forever.

Either way, I didn't mind. He is my mate and I will love him no matter what.

The doctor had expressed some concern that Toby was not reacting as a rape victim 'should'. Of course, he could be internalizing his emotions, not knowing how to cope with them. But the doctor warned us to keep an eye out for any strange behaviors. This would be an understandably tough time for Toby, and we needed to be there for him and offer a strong support system.

Toby has not met my family yet. The only people he has been around was me and Harper, the doctor, and briefly Shiloh and Rue. I wanted Toby to meet my family because they offered so much affection and support. Toby wasn't so keen on the idea of being around my family.

I told my parents to keep their distance, not wanting to overwhelm the fragile deer shifter. My parents were happy for me and respectfully kept their distance. But I knew they were excited and wanted to meet Toby.

When I asked Toby if I could officially introduce him to my family, he cried and hid in the closet. Buried under a pile of dirty clothes. Clothes that smelt of me and Harper.

I flush at the memory. When I went to coax Toby out from under the clothes, I noticed that he was holding onto a small purple rag to his chest. Whining and cuddling close to it.

Our scents were comforting to him, and that rag smelt especially of us.

Once it registered in my mind what it was, I snatched it from Toby's delicate hands. He cried as I took it away from him, reaching out to grab the cloth. Wanting to bathe in our comforting scents.

It was a cum rag. I had used it to clean up myself and Harper a few days prior. The rag was crusted and dry, that made me gag at the feel.

Needless to say, Harper and I would be having sex in the shower for the time being. No mess. No cleanup. No Toby finding the rag and cuddling with it.

Now, Toby smiles at me, a small gap in his two front teeth on display. He was so adorable.

I will settle for showing my family some pictures of him. As they had only seen him when he was sobbing, caked in dirt and blood.

"Toby, smile," I say, taking out my phone. Toby beams, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he smiles wide.

I take a couple of pictures of Toby and Harper together before there is a knock at the door. I will show the pictures to my family later, not wanting to be texting on my phone in case the doctor has something important to say.