Chapter 23

Shiloh

Rue lifts Xander into the air, the little pup giggling as he grips his hands tightly. Rue smiles, kissing his cheek lovingly.

Rue was great with children. The care that he put into making sure Xander was safe and happy was amazing.

It made me want to have many children with Rue. I know that it's not possible, but I often dreamt about our pups. Dreamt about what they would look like, what their personalities would be like, who they would take more after.

I knew that it was bad to keep reaching for something that will never be possible. But I couldn't help it. Maybe I could convince Rue to adopt a pup with me in the near future.

Conan and Iggy were still asleep in their rooms, entrusting us with Xander as they rested up from their long flight here.

It was around six in the morning and my stomach was beginning to growl with hunger.

"Do you wanna have breakfast," I ask, pulling on a shirt. "I'll make some pancakes for us."

Rue turns his head to the side, his tired eyes meeting mine. He nods softly, a smile tugging at the edges of his lips the more he looks at me.

"Do you think he's old enough to eat pancakes?" I ask, nodding towards Xander, who was balancing on his chubby little legs atop Rue's stomach.

"I'll cut them up real tiny for him. We just have to watch how fast he eats."

Rue rolls out of bed, Xander cuddled up in his arms. Xander had only known Rue for one day, but he was already attached to him. Wanting to be so close to Rue that it seemed like they were glued together at the hip.

I could tell that Rue loved it. He loved being around pups. Being able to hold a baby in his arms. I knew that he was struggling, seeing his brother have a child while he was barren.

Rue sets Xander on the ground as he pulls on some socks. He dresses Xander in some comfortable clothing that Conan left for him.

I slip a shirt over my head, smoothing it out as I make my way to the door. I feel a slight tug on my pant leg, looking down to find wide blue eyes staring up at me. He holds out his hand, so I reach down to take it into my own.

Xander toddles between us, holding both our hands as we make our way to the kitchen. He was still a little wobbly on his feet so we balanced him as we walked. We help the pup down the staircase, making sure he wouldn't fall and hurt himself.

I find a high chair in storage once we enter the kitchen. I place the high chair at the small foldable dining table before pulling out ingredients to make pancakes from scratch.

This smaller kitchen was used for families if they didn't want to eat with the entire pack. They could make a meal and eat at the small wooden table towards the far end of the kitchen.

There were lots of other rooms like this one, allowing our packmates to have a little privacy.

I watch from the corner of my eye as Rue settles Xander into the high chair. Once Xander is in the high chair, Rue sighs shakily, his hand caressing Xander's cheek. His eyes were clouded over, looking like he was lost in thought.