Chapter 26

Tobias

Sage has been coming to visit me for the past month and a half. Bringing me many fresh fruits and vegetables to eat and clothing to keep me warm. He taught me how to season and cook my food so I could enjoy it more.

I kept fresh meats in the refrigerator so Sage would have some food to eat while he was here. The smell made me want to vomit, but I wanted Sage to enjoy his food as much as I liked mine.

Rogue had tried to get me to eat meats. Contrary to popular beliefs, deer shifters ate meat. Bucks usually ate the most meat, Doe and Fawns shied away from it.

The only meat we abstained from having was deer meat. It's where we crossed the line. We would never eat another deer. Shifter or not.

Meat wasn't something I particularly fancied, the texture and flavor not sitting right with me. The only meat I could stomach was bacon. The texture was crunchy and it reminded me of a chip. But I couldn't eat a lot of it because eventually, I'd throw it all up.

I stuck to eating berries and vegetables, the safer option. The option that I preferred.

Speaking of foods I liked to eat, Sage brought me bags of hot Cheetos! My favorite! The spicy snack gave me heartburn, but it was a small price to pay to eat the delicious treat.

Sage had me take daily pregnancy vitamins. It would take a toll on my body, being away from my mates for so long. Sage was concerned that my baby would also suffer from being away from his father.

I was already feeling the effects of being away from my mates. I felt tired most days, my lack of willingness to do things was getting worse as the days went on. The only thing I looked forward to was seeing Sage's big furry head pop through the doggy door.

I had taken to making the small door wider for Sage to fit through when he visited. There was a latch that could be locked so I would be protected on days when Sage couldn't come over.

I stayed in the stuffy cave on most days. Not willing to go outside and become vulnerable to rogues and other predators. Sage took me for walks, allowing me to receive some fresh air. It was nice, feeling the sun on my pelt after being in the dark for a good portion of the week.

I will always be so grateful to Sage. He's been here for me even though I hurt his son. After I betrayed the pack. He continued teaching me how to speak properly, he's kept my belly full, clothes on my back, I will forever be in debt to him.

I was always afraid of being abandoned. Everyone eventually left me. My parents. Rogue. My mates... But not Sage. He and I were building a strong relationship together.

But with each passing day, every memory we make together, the more I think to myself; 'Goddess, if he were to leave me now, the pain I will feel would be worse than I've ever experienced in my life'.

Sage said he was coming over today with a 'surprise'. As expected, the doggy door jiggles, a snout sticking through the hole. The black nose wiggles as it sniffs at the air. The wolf lets out a soft bark, his tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth as he pants happily.

Sage slips through the door, pulling three bags in with him. He shifts into his human form, pulling on the clothes I left out for him.