Chapter 27

Rue

The pack had been in complete disarray ever since Toby was banished. Harper was a mess, not willing to do anything. Kalen was always angry, having no support from his mate. Shiloh was stressed, knowing that his brother was upset.

It was sad, not having the little deer shifter around. He brightened up my day. The packhouse seemed quieter now without him. Goddess, it felt like a ghost town here. No one wanted to upset Kalen so they stayed away.

It had been over a month and a half since my surgery though. The only good thing that's happened. Something for me and Shiloh to look forward to. The surgery had been a success, meaning that my body had taken to the new organ.

There was no telling whether I will have a successful pregnancy or not. If this didn't work, we agreed to adopt children. But hopefully, everything would turn out alright.

Dr. Jameson informed us that we should wait over four months before we start trying for a child. He said it may be a long and painful process for us but he wishes us the best of luck.

My brothers had settled into their small cottage a little ways from the packhouse. Conan would bring Xander over to spend time with me when my schedule was clear.

I didn't have a lot of time on my hands anymore, due to Harper's state. I had to officially take over as Luna. It was unbearably hard at first, making me want to give up. But just as Shiloh said, I got the hang of it. Being Luna was still a terrible job, and I don't know how the hell Harper did it so well. But I was getting better and with that, being Luna became easier.

I hadn't seen much of Iggy lately. Something about having to concentrate on winning over his mate. Whatever he was doing, it was keeping him busy enough.

I am glad that my brothers are happy. I wouldn't want them to stay here just because I wanted them to. It wouldn't be fair to them.

I sigh, finishing up with Harper's dinner. Kalen ate in his office, staying in there for hours on end. I ate dinner with Harper just so he wasn't alone. Shiloh understood, letting me spend time with my brother-in-law alone.

I made us some chicken nuggets that were in the shape of dinosaurs and homemade sweet potato fries. I knew that Harper wouldn't eat much so I stuck with easy-to-make foods.

I take the two plates upstairs along with a bottle of iced tea, knowing that I had left our cups next to the bedside table.

I push open the door to his bedroom with my foot, the soft creaking sound of the hinges making me wince. Kalen had kicked at the door one night out of anger and frustration. Causing the door to splinter down the middle, one of the hinges knocked out of place. No one bothered to replace it just in case it happened again.

"I made Dino nuggets," I say, as I make my way over to Harper's side of the bed.

Harper was laying on his back, facing the ceiling. Tears were pooling in his eyes. Once they filled to the brim, the tears slid down the side of his face. Over his temples, disappearing into his hair.

I set the plates down, guiding Harper into a sitting position. I was careful how hard I gripped him, not wanting to accidentally bruise him. He bruised so easily now.