Chapter 33

Kalen

I watch Toby interact with Felix from the entryway, a gentle smile set on my face. Toby had a tube of bubbles in his hand, the bubble wand in the other. Toby was propped up in a baby seat, eyes wide as he watches the floating bubbles in awe.

"Look, Felix," Toby giggles, popping a bubble with his pointer finger. "Look, pretty bubbles!"

Felix blinks up at Toby, cooing as he reaches out to him. Toby crawls over to Felix, unclipping him from the baby seat.

He kisses Felix's cheek, the little pup whimpering as he clings to Toby. Toby's eyes meet mine, his smile immediately disappearing from his face.

Toby knew what I was here for. I told him earlier that I'd come to get him when it was time for his first therapy appointment. We have to leave about twenty minutes before our appointment so we'd have time to drive there as the therapist wasn't from our pack.

"Time already?" He whines, walking over to me. He hands Felix to me as he slips his shoes on.

"Yeah, we should head out now. There's no need to be nervous, Harper and I will be right there beside you."

Felix snuggles close to me, sticking his thumb into his mouth as his head comes to rest on my shoulder. I rub Felix's back as he reaches up with his other hand to latch onto my ear. His tired eyes gaze at nothing in particular as he rubs my ear with his little fingers.

Felix had taken to rubbing our ears a few days ago. It was the only way he could fall asleep now. It's not like it annoyed us, we were all fine with it. But it was a little concerning because we didn't want to make it a habit that would carry on into his childhood. He needed to be able to sleep in his own room one day.

Toby would be fine with him staying in our bed with us forever. Toby and Felix were always near each other. They were closer than Harper and I was to him. It didn't bother me though. Toby birthed Felix after all.

Toby finishes tying his shoes, leaning up to kiss me. I press my lips to his, feeling him tremble beside me.

"You come in with me?"

"Yeah, we can stay in the room as long as you want. It doesn't involve us in particular today. Only you. The goal of this first session is for the therapist to get to know you and why you're seeking out their assistance."

Toby nods, lips pursing together as I guide him to the truck, helping him into the backseat. I clip Felix into his car seat, kissing his little hand after I detach it from my ear.

"I love you," I whisper as his eyes finally flutter shut.

I make sure I shut the door as softly as possible so I don't startle him. He hadn't taken a nap today so I wanted him to sleep so he wouldn't be cranky during our session.

I climb into the passenger seat just as Harper makes it to the truck. He hops up into the truck, leaning over to kiss me.

"Sorry I'm late," he says, reaching back to rub against Toby's knee. "I grabbed Felix's plushie from our room. You forgot it in there."

Another thing Felix couldn't be without. If we weren't around for whatever reason, Felix liked to cuddle with the wolf plushie that Sage gifted him.