21 | brownies

"W-wife?" the other one clarified, "She looks like a third year to me, Tsukishima-san," he added, scratching his head.

"Were you thinking of hitting on my wife?" Kei lifted his brows, forming a pitying look on his face.

"Kei," you anxiously grabbed and hugged his arm, "You're terrifying the kids."

Kei looked at you, then gazed back at them.

"A-anyway, should we start practice now?" the brunette asked, changing the topic.

Kei scoffed, "How about a 2 vs 2?"

"2 against 2?" Hiro repeated, "You're playing too, Coach?"

"Again, I am not your coach. And yes, I'll play," he answered.

"But if you're too embarrassed to lose, I can go easy," Kei added, smiling again.

"Eh?" the boys gasped.

"Hiro-kun, team up with me," Kei instructed.

"Y-yes!" Hiro gladly accepted, "I'll do my best!" you genuinely smiled at Kei.

"You up for it?" Kei asked the two boys.

"Yes," one of them nodded.

"Y/N-chan, can you monitor our scores?" Kei asked you, to which you agreed.

"Alright, let's play!" Hiro enthusiastically exclaimed, "I'll be working on my blocks, too."

"Good."

Not long after, their friendly match started. Apparently, those two play as setter and wing spiker.

"Hey, time your jumps, your height won't make up if you're always late," Kei adviced, "And don't get tricked by the setter, always keep a close watch on everything on the court," he added, he sounded like a real coach.

You kept track of the scores and Kei was doing well. He was good in defense, serving and showed Hiro the basics of blocking.

"Ah, s-sorry!" Hiro apologized after a successful one touch, "It's too far," he apologized again.

"It's fine!" Kei exclaimed and returned the ball.

Luckily for them, the ball landed near the line. Another point for Kei and Hiro.

"One touches are valuable, you're slowing down the ball, making it easier for me to receive. That was good," Kei praised Hiro. Hiro himself knew it was rare for Kei to give compliments.

"T-thank you!" he bowed his head and smiled again.

The score for rest of the game didn't matter much. Kei was surprisingly dedicated in teaching Hiro and good thing for him, Hiro was a quick learner.

"Ah! I got it!" you heard Hiro yell the first time he shut down the spiker.

"You touched the net, silly," Kei laughed mockingly.

"B-but!"

"One point for us, Tsukishima-san!" the other boy looked at you, reminding you to record it.

"Still, that was good," Kei complimented.

"T-thank you very much, Coach!" Hiro said it again, "My f-first block!"

After the game ended, Kei sat next to you as you handed him a water bottle.

"You're a good teacher," you told him and gave him a towel too.

"I know," he jokingly agreed.

"Their team is coming here soon, so, my job here is done," he told you.

"So we're going home now?" you clarified, looking at Kei arranging the items on his bag.

He simply nodded and before he zipped his bag, you grabbed the box of brownies you made.

"I told you to share it with the kid," you scolded, "He did a really good job today."

"Those are my brownies," he protested and frowned.

"We have more at home," you clicked your tongue.

"Fine," Kei shook his head and looked Hiro.

"Hiro-kun," he called the boy out. It seems like he just finished making a call.

"Come here," Kei instructed. Hiro obviously followed.

"Yes?" he asked and turned off his phone.

"Brownies," Kei spoke and raised the box, inviting Hiro to try some.

"R-really?" Hiro was surprised by the sudden offer.

"Take some," Kei said in monotone.

"Thanks, papa!" the boy blurted out and grabbed two beautifully decorated brownies.

"P-papa?" your eyes widened upon hearing Hiro, "Papa?!"

"Ah!" Hiro exclaimed, now realizing what he just said.

"My dad called earlier, I-I'm sorry!" he apologized, covering his mouth almost filled with brownies.

"P-papa," Kei muttered almost inaudibly, was he flustered?

"I'm sorry," he repeated.

"Forget it," Kei spoke, now closing the box of brownies.

Hiro stood there, not knowing what to do amidst the awkward atmosphere.

"Do you like the brownies?" you asked, trying to get his mind off of it.

"Y-yes! Very much," he answered.

"Really?" you happily responded, "I'll bake more when you invite Kei here again."

"Okay!" Hiro nodded.

"Well, Kei and I are going home now," you stood up, hanging your bag on your shoulder.

"Let's go," you tapped Kei on his shoulder.

"Thanks again, Coach!" Hiro spoke as the two of you headed to the exit.

Kei sighed, not wanting to repeat his, "I'm not your coach" line.

"Would you have preferred 'papa'?" you teased him.

"He's not our kid," he shook his head and held your hand.

You headed home, walking alongside Kei. It was almost the same route back then, but a little farther, a little different.

Your meeting with Hiro made you imagine life with a bigger family. What would life be with 3 children that looked like a blend of you and Kei? Will Kei introduce them to volleyball while they're young? Will their first word be mama? papa? What would you name them?

"Hey," Kei stopped your imagination from running wild, "Should we go to the grocery? You told me two days ago that we ran out of condiments," he asked and paused.

"Y-yeah, sure!" you answered.

"You okay?" he asked and raised a brow.

"Y-yes!" you answered and dragged him inside the grocery.

Kei grabbed a basket for you and followed you as you walked around, "So, mirin?" he asked.

"Yup, and soy sauce, we're running out of that," you answered.

"Alright," he nodded and grabbed them.

You impulsively bought other things you needed, more pudding, chips, and candy. Afterwards, Kei carried the groceries for you while his free hand intertwined with yours.

As you reached your apartment, you grabbed your keys and quickly opened the door. Kei placed the groceries on the dining table, about to arrange them in the fridge.

You looked around the house. It wasn't that big but it was cozy, and perhaps, there was room for a few more.