26 | mother

After your regular visit to the doctor, you had to face another obstacle, revealing the news to his mother. It took you 2 and a half more months before you had the guts to tell her, now was probably the best time.

"Are you okay?" Kei asked you. Lately, he has been more affectionate and caring, asking you how you're feeling more often. He probably read how stress affects the mother.

"Yes, I'm okay. Just a little nervous," you answered with a faint smile as you paused on the doorstep.

"Are you sure?" he confirmed again.

"Just how much have you read about stress and the baby?" you teased him, to which he responded with a scoff.

You pressed on the doorbell and anxiously waited for his mother to open the door.

It didn't matter if she dislikes you still. By now, you're already used it to it, but you were still hoping she'd at least accept the children you were carrying.

"Hello, mom," Kei greeted his mother as soon as she opened it. You also greeted and bowed.

She looked at you, visibly surprised with the changes with your body. She could already tell by just that.

"Come in," she spoke and allowed you to enter, "Take a seat in the living room," she instructed, knowing fully well what this talk is going to be about.

You took off your shoes and did as you were told. You sat next to Kei and waited for his mother. She was preparing some tea and placed it on the coffee table.

"Mom," Kei muttered, she didn't respond to it until she was finally seated.

"Tea?" she offered as you stared at the teacups and sugar.

Kei got some tea for himself and looked at you, verifying if you wanted some as well.

"So," she spoke, "How months?" the voice of Kei's mother pierced through the silence of the room.

"5 months," you answered her.

"Oh," she mumbled.

"Congratulations then," his mother spoke again and took a deep breath.

"Thank you," you softly said as you fidgeted your fingers.

"We're having two boys," Kei revealed before taking a sip.

"Two? You're having twins? And twin boys?" she clarified, obviously surprised, "That doesn't run on our family."

You were unsure what she was trying to say.

"Yes, twins. It runs on mine," you answered her, "My father's side in particular."

"Ah, I see," she nodded. The tension in the room was still there, with both sides not knowing how to react.

"Did you buy baby needs?"

"Yes, we doubled it, of course," you answered. Even now, you couldn't call her "mother."

"Aren't you moving homes, then?" she asked, referring to your apartment.

"It's spacious enough, mom," Kei answered for you.

"Okay," she nodded, "Is that all?"

"Seriously?" you thought.

"Yes, mom," Kei nodded as well and stood up, "We just thought you'd be glad to hear the news."

"We'll get going now," you told her and got off of your seat.

She didn't protest, even if it has been a while since Kei last visited her. She followed you to the doorstep, watching you leave.

"Thank you for the tea."

"Y/N-chan," she called your name for the first time today. Even that was rare.

You swayed your head at the doorstep to call her.

"Since I'm going to be a grandmother, perhaps, you could call me mother?"

Surprised with the sudden kindness and your long 'awaited' acceptance, you smiled at her.

"Yes, mother," you spoke as your eyes crinkled from your smile.

"Please let my grandchildren visit every now and then," she requested, "I'd like to see them," she told you, though still in her usual monotone.

This tsun side was probably where Kei got it from.

"Yes, our Keiji and Keitaro will come for visits, mother."