The Counting Days

Loki and I remained in Alfheim as our child was still growing and my mother was getting weaker. I spent most of my waking moments with my mother, reading and talking to her about everything. I was reading to her until I felt sharp pains, one after another in my stomach. I winced and hunched over.

"Embla, are you alright?" My mother asked, worried.

"I-I'm fine, just the baby kicking I think." I breathed in and out deeply, trying to relax from the pain.

"Embla, you should rest. You have been stressing about me for too long. Go on, I'll be alright. Stress and worry is not good for the baby."

"You are right, mother, as always," carefully I got up from her bedside chair. "You rest up as well as and I'll check back in a while. I love you mother."

I kissed her forehead then closed the door behind me. I walked around for a little bit instead because I have been having nightmares every night, screaming every time I awake then Loki tries to comfort me back to sleep. I entered my chambers to try to sleep for once after my feet started to hurt from walking. Loki was inside our chambers, reading in a chair.

"Hello, my love." I say rather dryly.

"Hello, Embla. How are you doing?"

"Well I think the baby started kicking, but I might rest if my nightmares don't keep me awake."

"Our baby kicked?!" He was overexcited. I softly chuckled.

"Yes. Come lie down with me. Possibly, the baby will kick again." He practically jumped on the bed like a little infant. I giggled as he wrapped one arm around me and the other on my stomach.

"Sleep well Embla. I will be in your dreams soon."

"Thank you Loki."

I was standing in an empty field of ash. It almost looked like Svartalheim, where the Dark Elves once lived. I saw no one until there was a woman and a small child, who both had completely black eyes, suddenly appeared in front of me. I was frightened because beyond the black eyes, I recognized the woman as me!

"Embla!" I heard Loki's voice echo from behind me and I turned to see him there, so far away.

"Loki!"

I called out, but the ground beneath me furiously quaked. Both the cursed me and child started to run after me. I ran the other way towards Loki, but the ground was crumbling beneath me.

"Loki!" I screamed as I fell into the dark abyss below...

I awoke screaming and crying.

"It's alright Embla! You're safe." I hugged Loki tightly.

"Why couldn't you get to me?" I cried.

"Believe me, I tried, but it was as if my feet were attached to the ground." I placed my hands into my head, sobbing.

"Must I suffer anymore?" In response, Loki just sighed...