Three

"So...They-They're allowing it? Me?" I cannot help but stare at my Papa as he smiles and watches Mama finish with pulling one of my sisters this way and that in order to wrap her long silky hair around the wire that will help keep the looping design she's created structured and beautiful before slipping a jade comb with the cloud that stands for our family's crest into one of the braids declaring her finished. Normally it would be the job of a maid to fix our hair, but Mama has always found a strange level of comfort in grooming all of her children whenever stress works its way into our lives, my scalp still tingling with the memory of the pattern she had twisted it into the last time she and Papa had a disagreement.

"I told you there would be no issue in your presence, Rayne! You just needed to trust us." Mama's smile seems almost too cheery as she takes me by the shoulder and guides me to the stool she had only just kicked my sister off of, forcing me to sit and become the next victim for her unforgiving hands to torture via preening. 

When Papa had been summoned for a private audience what now seems like ages ago we had all sat on the edge of our cushions waiting for him to return with news of my execution being planned to happen quietly at sunset while the rest of the guests here at the Palace enjoy their evening meal and the sight of all the prettiest young suitors here for the Prince to choose from... Not for him to come back and say, "Prince Emrys himself asked that you be allowed to continue with being presented along with the other bridal candidates. He seemed rather intrigued by the knowledge of your reaction to his call and I hardly think we can say that it's a bad thing that he is."

Papa's words bring me to believe that up until his private meeting with our King and the Prince that he too thought that this couldn't possibly end well for our family and forced me here anyway, likely to please my mother in her ventures to make sure that I am aware that they are my family even though I already know it. 

At the sight of the fearful frown that works its way onto my face as thoughts of mistrust start to bubble up to my surface, Mama pinches my cheek, her chide gentle, "None of that. We wouldn't want any frown lines popping up right before being presented, now would we?"

...

Emrys

...

"I cannot believe you're allowing this, Emrys. I won't be surprised if half of the families walk out once they notice the mongrel hiding amongst the ladies." As usual, my Father is filled with nothing but the same simmering distaste for the world that he's had since Mother left this world for the next. His removal from the throne is long past due, as is a thorough weeding of the families that he's surrounded himself with, his court too full of twisted emotion and malice for my tastes.

"If they leave over something as simple as showing kindness to a child fostered by one of their peers it'll make it easier to decide who not to invite back the next time we host an event." My cheeks twitch in my effort not to let the smile I'm currently choking on shine through, my Father's disgruntled shock so much more than amusing as we settle ourselves at the head of the largest table that had been shifted into the ballroom chosen for tonight. The young men and women preparing themselves to be presented right at this very moment are going to be announced shortly, family by family, only to line themselves up before me in their finest outfits and jewels, all of them hoping to catch both mine and my beasts eyes and affection, and then they will take their seats so we may dine... And then there will be dancing so I might steal a moment with each of them, just the duration of a single turn around the ballroom whenever I see fit to steal a small glimpse into their temperaments, and then amongst the revelry and drinking a choice will be made that shall not be revealed until long after we've all retired to our rooms for the evening... It's then that I'll take the best rose I can find from the bush that shades my favorite resting place here within the Palace grounds and make my way to the room of whoever calls to my heart the loudest as a declaration of intention... A single night is the thing that will shift the entire direction of our kingdom from the darkness of my Father's current spiral back into the light... Into a happier more stable era of hopeful prosperity. 

It'll only be a matter of time now for the shift to happen... Soon I'll be sitting in the throne beside me that had sheltered my Father's angry behind for far too long, and he'll be shifted to my right, that is if he decides to stay instead of shifting and letting his beast wander the mountains I so often find him staring at in our silent moments...The moment can not come soon enough, for me, or for the people we rule over. 

Its why I so look forward to this evening, even if everyone else might be upset over having common blood in their midst, I know that at least myself and the likes of the Cloud family will be joyous and in good spirits. If things go awry and my bride is not found tonight I think maybe I shall invite the Cloud family back, if not just to show the other nobility milling around that they do not have to be so miserable all of the time, and how to treat each other more kindly... And maybe, just maybe, having Lord Akeno by his side will be able to soften some of Father's loneliness while our search for my wife continues on if it has to continue on.

"I swear sometimes I don't think you're my son with your odd ways of thinking..." I know that as sour as the man who sired me is, he doesn't mean the words he says even though it's not the first time I've heard them.

"Yes, yes, Father. I know. I'm much too like Mother but remember, I've inherited your bull-headedness and that alone is enough to prove my lineage." And it most certainly is, the number of times my Father and I take a stand against each other over the most trivial issues every day thanks to our shared trait normally leaves the two of us exhausted, neither one of us able to back away from our stances on whatever decision lifted up to us until the advisors finally grow tired of our bickering and table the issue to be brought before us separate for a decision to be made successfully. 

Before Father has a chance to spit out his usual retort of being ready to declare me a bastard one of the numerous butlers and footmen fluttering about the ballroom trying to perfect as many of the smaller details as they can before they start to usher our guests in steps forward and bows to garner our attention, a clearing of his throat the only indication that he would like permission to speak.  

"What?" Even I flinch at the harshness of Father's tone, the poor butler seeming to wilt under his heavy eyes trembling as he musters the strength to start his statement. 

"We're ready to start seating the elders and families if you'll permit it, Sire."