Forty

I do not think I have ever seen my Papa's scales every get so ruffled as they are right now, Emrys's insinuation of possibly getting me pregnant so soon after finding each other one that does not sit well with him, Mama having to croon to him to keep him in his seat and not trying to pull me away from my loving Prince as he cradles me so gently in his lap, the tender hand holding the outside of my thigh to keep me close to him in his lap ever traveling and rubbing itself so soothingly over the silken day robes he had chosen for me.

"Oh, Akeno... You have nothing to fear, your son's virtue is still very much intact." The hand on my thigh never stops moving, minor adjustments to the way I am seating coming from a place of love as he arranges me in a way that presses all of my soreness against him so that he might soothe it away just like he does when the two of us are in bed together... It's so tender... And so appreciated... Something I must express to him with a dozen kisses as soon as my family departs from us at some point today.

"For now." There is just something about the way Emrys chuckles that loosens my lips as I lean into his chest as he warms it for me, my addition to the conversation oh so unneeded, my hand snapping up to my mouth as I see my parents focus on me... I may not be able to clearly make out their faces... But even I can hear the gasp that leaves my sweet Mama over my audaciousness.

...

Emrys

...

It takes much self-control not to let myself laugh at the shade of purple my father-in-law turns over his son's cheekiness... A cheekiness that I am coming to adore, the quality absolutely stunning in the way that his cheeks shine so brightly after every utterance... Just like they had with that raunchy poem recital in the night...

It may only be slight slips of his tongue but I find it so absolutely charming in a way that always makes me want to hold him tighter... Which when I do garners the sternest look from the old advisor currently sitting across from us with his own wife in his lap while Rayne's sisters flutter about Kavya and Ronin to pester them for more details on poor hidden India and his fragile condition.

Akeno chooses not to comment on the slip of my Moon Beam's tongue, and instead focuses himself on the topic of the upcoming nuptials that are sure to be the biggest cause of celebration throughout the realm since my father's own wedding to my mother... And that had been centuries ago, "Mei and I have made arrangements for the dowry just as we discussed the other night. Everything should be here within the month, and the staff have been notified that they are to continue on as they have been so that we might come and go as we please as long as that is still alright with you, Your Highness."

...

Rayne

...

The mention of my dowry has me pulling my face out of my sweet Prince's warmed neck in order to try and pay more attention to the topic, "What do you mean to come and go as you please? What do your travels and the staff have to do with my dowry? Will I ever be allowed to know what my dowry is?"

I had lightly approached my future husband on it on one of the numerous times we had woken up from rest so entangled in each other's arms... And he had told me not to worry on it, though I had... I don't think any of us ever expected me to marry into a family higher than ours... Or even into one of the lower branch families, all of the families that had been appointed to the title of branch family in King Xiang's reign mostly consisting of judgemental aristocrats that would not know what real kindness was if it struck them in the face... I did not believe that my father would have anything arranged for me with my estrangement from the society that the rest of my sisters find themselves floating in... My pool of suitors had been non-existent... Until Emrys...

He had called out to me, and now he has me... But there likely is not anything else for him to gain from the match other than the love that insists on radiating from my very core for him... The love that grows stronger with each caress he gives me... Every soft kiss he gifts to my lips.. I adore him... But that may not be enough.

"Your family is your dowry, my Love... They are to take up residence here so that you need not be separated from them unnecessarily... Does that please you? "

...

Emrys

...

I keep my voice low as I finally inform him of the surprise that Akeno said he had wished to be present for to be revealed, and the squeal that I receive for our combined efforts is indeed something that had been worth being present for, the affection that Rayne gifts me stilling my very heart as it beats away in my chest as a kiss is pressed to my lips suddenly and then drawn away...

My breath being stolen away as exuberant chirping finds its way up to my ears as he tries to quiet his dragon by shoving his knuckles in his mouth, the smile on his face making his efforts completely pointless as the happy sounds leak from the corners of his mouth before he gives up on the endeavor and instead lets us all hear his joy as he opts to cover what he can of his face as his cheeks flush to life right here in my arms.

He's so stunning.. So so so stunning in the way that his joy is always so true... The idea of his family staying with him instead of leaving the palace while they try to return to life as normal as it could ever possibly be after surrendering their youngest child up to wed the crown, "I love you so much, my delicate Moon Beam... Please do not ever hide your joy..."