Fifty Four

I cannot help but stare at Cho as he stands before me, the darkness of night surrounding us as Rayne sleeps nestled in my arms, completely unaware of the alarming news that has just been delivered unto us...

"I-If Shen never actually made it within the palace walls again... How did he manage to poison my Moon Beam?" I settle upon my favorite pet name as both a comfort and an effort not to cause my sweet Rayne to stir by thinking I am calling out for him to wake, my voice barely more than a whisper as I address the man who has been working tirelessly to assure my bride-to-be's safety. 

"Your Highness... I fear I should not tell you of who I suspect... I do not wish for you to think I am furthering any kind of agenda of my own." I am almost ready to lose the last shred of my patience as the man in front of me shifts from foot to foot in his nervousness as he evades my demand for the rest of the knowledge he holds. 

"You will tell me, Cho. You will tell me right this instant." Lest I be pushed to threaten harm for the name of the beast who had taken it upon themselves to try and steal the life of the most beautifully kind creature to ever walk the halls of this palace.

The warning in my voice does not go unheeded, though Cho does take the liberty of taking a step back and inclining his head to me, his hand settling carefully and closely to the sword strung around his waist so that he might draw it to defend himself if need be... And when the words finally leave his mouth I understand his fear, for they themselves are treason, "I think it may have been your father. Some of the maids heard him coughing and swearing upon leaving the bathing chamber, and followed him- just in case he needed help... And they've reported upon questioning that they followed him here... After a brief stop in his own chambers."

Upon uttering the words that in any other circumstances would be considered treasonous and reason for execution by a firing squad chosen by my father himself, Cho finds himself taking another step back and bracing for a fight I do not have in me to actually direct towards him... Because the information he's handed me does indeed seem quite damning... But my mind simply does not want to accept the fact that my father does hate me... So much in fact that he would wish the very fate that has left his very soul knarled and twisted beyond recognition upon his only son and heir to his throne... 

But I do not have a true moment to process my feelings on the matter... On how noticeable his absence has been since that day... On his crude remarks... On the fact that our worry over him joining forces with Shen Hirai may be more than justified but possibly already true... That maybe... Just maybe... Shen's feelings of injustice over the death of his family might stem from my father asking him and his brother to go after Rayne at his behest... And the way that the pieces of this puzzle are all slowly starting to come together as our wedding draws closer and closer... 

Because in the seconds that the information starts to settle in my mind my sweet shard of starlight lets out a scream that makes my blood run cold, the thrashing of his limbs starting so suddenly I very narrowly avoid losing an eye, his talons out and slashing at everything they touch in an effort to protect himself from the memories tormenting him. 

...

Rayne

...

The tighter I find myself held and restrained the more I feel I need to escape the arms wrapped around me... Too many sets of hands touching me and pawing at my face, my hair tangling as I try and free myself from the pain of the fists and feet that keep flying towards me no matter how far or fast I try to crawl up the walkway... My voice not able to reach my own ears even in its weakness as I try to call out for help until I realize that there are voices calling back to me... But not in that same mocking tone that had rung out and called me a mongrel... No... These voices are alarmed... And ones that I recognize... The bleary faces of Emrys and Cho coming somewhat into focus when I manage to still myself long enough to let my eyes creep open, my body feeling chilled and damp when I manage to take my first steady breath before I find myself crushed to Emrys's chest while Cho hurries himself in letting go of my wrists where he had grabbed them likely to help my sweet fiance in restraining my fright long enough to wake me. 

I am gifted with a flurry of sweet calming croons from my Emmy, his hands careful with the way they place themselves so that he does not stir the ache that still resides in my side when I find myself overexcited or overstimulated, the ribs there likely to cause tenderness for quite some time until the bones have strengthened their new bonds appropriately enough... Or at least that is what I had understood from the information given to me by Kanaye. 

I take the comfort... The tears flowing from my eyes genuine enough for me not to question why Cho has joined us so late in the evening once again, the news surely not of the good kind judging by what I can make out of his now saddened expression as he gazes at the two of us... I know I should be curious as to why he is here and what has happened now that is so bad that it could not wait until morning... But I truly do not wish to know... I want no more sorrows... I do not have the strength to survive another bad turn...