Chapter 2: Highland Park

**Jade**

By the time we get back to the intern area it was mostly cleared out.

"You seemed out of in there." Sophie says sitting at her desk. "What's up?"

"Kinda re-thinking this whole internship thing." I say scooting up onto her desk and cross my leg over my knee. "This place is bullshit. I take notes, get coffee, and sort shitty mail. I've yet to be introduced to anyone legitimately associated with 'music'." I make air quoted and sigh. "Sorry..."

"You're fine. Like honestly it's not one of the worst internships I've had." Sophie says with a look of sympathy on her face. "Just give it a little more time."

"Yeah, maybe."

"Have you gone out or anything? Like met anyone besides the people that work here?"

"Mm not really." I hum while picking at my cuticles.

She laughs, her head falling back, "C'mon Jade... you need to get out. Meet a hot dude, have a good fuck. You'll feel better."

"Orgasms don't solve all problems Sophie." I say hopping off her desk and walk over to mine.

"I beg to differ, look we'll go hiking tomorrow and talk, ok?" She stands up and grabs her stuff.

"God dammit."

"What is it?" Sophie asks.

"I left my backpack in the conference room." I look at the clock 5:36. Maybe the meeting is over. Maybe the artist never showed or is running late, they're notorious for that, right?

"Want me to go with you?" She asks.

"Nah, I'll see if Sara can let me in." I say waving her on.

"Okay, I'll pick you up at 6." She says with a smile. "Good luck."

I sigh and pull my hair up into a messy bun while I make my way down to Sara's office, I peak my head in and knock softly. "Hi Sara..." I say "I don't mean to interrupt..."

Sara looks up and smiles "What's up."

"I left my backpack in the conference room and it has my keys...." I say nervously...

"I'll be a bitch and interrupt a meeting, I love doing that." She says getting up motioning me to follow her.

She puts her finger over her lips and swipes her card over the door, as it unlocks.

"Miss Patterson..." I can hear the lanky man's voice from behind Sara he sounds less than thrilled.

"Sorry Danny." She says sweetly, "One of my interns left her things in here. Is it ok if I grab them for her?" He sighs, obviously upset. "Can it wait...... 40 more minutes?" 40 minutes?! I'm sorry sir come again. I just need my damn backpack!!

Sara looks at me over her shoulder, then back in the room. "Afraid not." She slips in and the door locks behind her.

I can hear Danny's muffled voice calling me "irresponsible" and "have a meeting with her after this meeting." Fan-fucking-tastic.

"Sorry for interrupting, it won't happen again." Sara says backing out of the conference room with my backpack in tow. "It's cool." I hear another female say and I can hear Danny clear his throat.

I look at Sara "I'm sorry."

"No worries, really." She says smiling. "I left my backpack in a studio once and had to pay a security guard to let me in. Go on home."

"What about...?"

"Danny?" She asked rolling her eyes. "He's harmless. I'll talk to him."

"Thanks."