Target

Sirius opened his eyes, realizing he was knelt at the ground, his body now the size of his seven-year-old self. The darkness around him  was hiding under a crust of light and his foggy memories were glitching mutely, the only motionless figure being the small bundle of fur sitting next to him. 

      "It's sad sad how you've locked me with all these bad memories like I was part of them." Sasha said, leaning his head over his tiny paws and looking blankly at the smoky people before them. They were not startling him anymore. 

     "I am sorry, Sasha! You didn't deserve this. It wasn't your fault things happened the way they did."

       Sasha shook his head, letting his ears fall each side of his head.

    "I am not upset you locked me here, Sirius. If you hadn't done it, I don't think I would have survived my own guilt. I admit at times it got too much to suffer and I was ready to give up, but then one of your new, happier memories would pop out and all I wanted was to live another day to see your clan members  or our amazing mate.What really hurt me though was the fact you hated me for being weak. The fact that you haven't completely blocked me off after Fletcher died but denied my existence once you saw me as I am...small and brittle."

      "I am sorry! I've always hoped you'd be this strong and powerful animal. But when I realized you were a kitten I couldn't help but be afraid... be afraid to  become a target again." 

     Sasha moved closer to Sirius, sliding his head under the boy's palm and licking his fingertips gently. 

      "I may not be big and strong like other shifters, but I will never let anything bad happen to you ever again. I will try with all my might to keep you and the ones you love safe...and this time I won't fail.  I will be a better shifter and I won't disappoint you if you're willing to give me a second chance." 

      Sirius nodded, placing his hand over the kitten's soft fur and starting to caress him gently, lifting him to his lap.

       "Only if you give me a chance to be a better human as well."

⇜ꕥ⇝

Fifteen minutes in the past

      "Sirius said he loves me!" Baloo chuckled once he left his mate and returned to his link with Teddy, making the later rise a brow in curiosity. 

       "He said something about me too?" Teddy asked, frowning when Baloo hummed a smug "no".

      "He only said he loves me. I always knew I was his favorite. But don't worry, I am sure he will grow to love you too in time."

        "Mhm, sure." 

       "What? You don't believe I am more lovable than you, kid? Psh... Sirius only endures to stay around you for your good looks. I am the brains, the one with personality and charm. I am the Don Juan, the Romeo, the Casanova!" Baloo huffed, extending his claw to pick at his nose.

         "Yeah, yeah you are." Teddy sighed, almost grimacing when Baloo pulled away his paw, looked at his finger and started flicking his claws one to another in a discarding manner. 

       Realizing Baloo was too much of a distraction, Teddy decided to block him off and turn his attention back to his mate. Sirius' from was stilled and his eyes closed as if he was a mere statue... this until he started gasping for air an fell at the ground to his knees. 

    "Sirius?"

    "No, no, no, not this!" Sirius muttered, making Teddy run by his side and place his hand on his shoulder. The cat shifter's face contorted in ugly wrinkles, his body being luckily hidden by the wooden podium.