0 - Defibrillation

I did it.

My hands were trembling so hard I can even feel the bullets of sweat running down the side of my face. I freaking did it.

I wanted to cry.

For the first time.. I saved a life.

I finally heard it.. the utmost gratitude of the family of the patient I saved, their tears of joy. It was priceless.

"Sama mo umiyak, doc."

I looked up to Cyclone. Smiling smugly as he walks towards me, his hands on his scrub pocket.

I smiled as I gently wipe the tears flowing from my eyes. It was uncontrollable; it mirrors the joy fulfilling my heart.

Everything's worth it.. all the pain and sleepless night.. the sacrifices I made.. they were all worth it..

"Panyo o ako?" he asked spreading his arms.

I rolled my eyes as I enveloped myself in his embrace. I needed this.. a hug from someone..

"You did a great job, doc." He whispered as he tightens his embrace.

"I know."

Kumalas ako sa yakap niya. I heaved a sigh as I calmed myself.

"Celebrate tayo mamaya with Ansel."

Tumango lang ako bago nag-simulang mag-lakad. My hands on my coat's pocket.

"Off duty ka ngayon, bakit ka andito?"

"Boring sa bahay e."

I just smiled at what he said. Knowing the exact reason why it was 'boring'.

"Pasok muna akong OR."

I just gave him a nod. I am having my great night today, I deserve a good sleep. I looked at my watch, it's only10:47 pm. Lumiko ako papunta sa quarters namin nang harangin ako ng isang nurse. Hingal na hingal.

"What happened?"

"Doc!" sigaw niya between her breaths. My brow arched.

"Doc, emergency!" she pointed the way to ER. Agad akong tumakbo kasunod ang nurse. She's already explaining to me the medical condition of the four patient kaya mas hiningal siya.

Pag-dating ko sa ER may tatlong doctor na, two of the patients tinatakbo na sa OR. Yong isa nire-revive.

Ambush. Three patient in critical condition, one got mild injury.. the last one died on the spot.

My whole world started spinning. Nurse Ja's voice.. the cries.. turned vague as I get to see the face of the three patient..

They were all familiar..

My knees suddenly felt weak I had to hold Nurse Ja for support. No..why are they here.. they don't belong here!

They shouldn't be patients!

"Doc?"

"Doc A!"

"Doc Arquiluz!"

I got my senses back. Damn it. I can't find my breath..

"Where's the patient?"

Nurse Ja pointed at one of the bed where the man was sitting.. his back on me.. one of our interns already treating him..

"Doc!" the intern greeted as soon as she saw me.

I walk towards them..

After seven years he'll show himself in front of me as what? As an injured man..

He really do love to test my patience huh..

I stopped beside the intern, in front of him.

His eyes met mine.. the same eyes I used to love so much but not enough to sacrifice everything in my life..

He was the risk I never take.. the cliff I didn't jump on..

He was the heartache I cannot mend..

I heaved a sigh, my poker face on—same as his..

I looked at the wound on his shoulder.. he was the one who got mild injury.. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I saw his condition.. daplis lang.

I put on my surgical gloves and reached for the forcep.. "I'll continue," I said to the intern who immediately give way..

"I told you didn't I? Not to show yourself in front of me again.." I muttered as I pat the cotton ball on his shoulder.. his jaw tightened, maybe from the physical pain or maybe from what I've said..

"I never planned on.." his voice was cold..

He changed so much.. yet he still felt so utterly familiar..

"As my patient." I continued.

I met his eyes one more time.. he blinked and looked away even before I can decipher the single emotion played in it..

"Magka-kilala kayo, doc?" the intern asked. My eyes remained on his shoulder, pero napansin ko ang pag-tingin niya sa intern namin.

I cleared my throat as I straightened my back. I really don't know how to answer that question without bringing up everything we tried to forget..

My eyes travelled to his.. meeting his gazes, and heavens forbid me for missing those brown orbs.. the one I always adore..

I smiled at him, "Yes."