♡ chapter 17 ♡

♡ flawsome firewood ♡

"Die Young."

♡♡♡

♡♡♡

It should be common knowledge by now that going off alone in the woods is a bad idea. And since our favorite four are not complete and utter idiots (like some may believe), they were quick to adapt to the Buddy System. A couple of days had gone by that were pretty uneventful, mostly consisting of more cute moments between Sonic and Y/n and a bunch of plotting from Robotnik as he drafted his Metal Sonic. Plus a couple of mishaps caused by Shadow (who was growing increasingly more distracted by the minute) and some more internal debating coming from Knuckles. Robotnik had finally managed to revive some of his more powerful drones, programming them to shoot at either of the hedgehogs or their little friends on sight so that if one of them ventured a bit too far, then they would be taken care of without him having to do anything but lift a finger.

He was SUCH a genius; Shadow and Knuckles were lucky they had such a benevolent leader like him. Little did Sonic and Y/n know that all it would take would be one little trip into the woods to understand that.

♡♡♡

"Aww, shoot," Spirit sighed from her spot kneeling before the fire. Her blue eyes swept across the flames as they crackled before her, lighting up the evening sky. Y/n glanced up at her friend from the top of the truck.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"We're running low on wood. Want me to go and get some?"

Y/n's stomach instantly churned as she pictured venturing out into the woods this late during the day. It made her terrified enough to even be three feet away from her friends anymore thanks to Shadow, her yandere... She shivered in disgust as the thought of him crossed her mind. Him pressing her up against that tree, the amount of fear that she had been under was so debilitating that she couldn't move... She hated him for it. Hated him with every fiber of her being for making her feel helpless. She wished that she never had to see him again, even though she knew she would have to at some point. After all, he was one of Robotnik's henchmen. But still. Y/n's e/c orbs glanced nervously into the dark underbrush of the forest, her ears flickering silently to see if there were any snapping twigs or rustling leaves. She tried her best to not picture Spirit going out on her own and getting stabbed or shot at by one of Robotnik's plots.

She better go instead.

"No, no," Y/n stood up, glancing over to see Sonic and Tails going over some of their defense lines again. They had been busying themselves by building defense traps (at Sonic's suggestion thanks to Shadow and his grabby hands) and were getting along quite well. "I'll go. Hey, Son?"

Sonic's head whipped up the second his nickname left Y/n's lips. She offered him a warm smile that made his heart skip a beat.

"Want to go get some firewood with me?" He was already by her side before she even finished her sentence. Throwing his arm around her shoulders, Sonic sent her a sly wink and grinned.