17.

New message: "Happy birthday" from Jene

Alexis tossed her phone on her bed and headed to the bathroom. It was her birthday after all she couldn't spend the day moping around because of Heather. Today was her day, she could resume that tomorrow.

She cleaned the mirror with a rag and her reflection came into view, she looked tired. Black short hair hanging above her shoulders. Dark bags beneath her eyes. For some unknown reason her face was swollen. She looked like she had put on weight the last two days. She shrieked at her reflection. Her mum would lose it if she saw how she looked now, she looked like a mess.

Memories of her previous birthday came flooding in her head. She Rodney, Sally and Jene had flown to Paris. Expenses fully paid by her dad and lodged in one of his expensive hotels. She chuckled at the memory. Sally had got lost, they'd spent the afternoon looking for her only to get themselves lost too. She had been mugged of her phone and bag thereby having no means to connect with the others.

She remembered how she cried in relief when she reunited with her friends and her boyfriend ex boyfriend now refusing to let go until she was finally pulled off. They'd spent the night clubbing till dawn. It was owned by her dad so they didn't have any problem getting in. It was her first time ever clubbing and drinking alcohol too, it was a wild night.

Who knew in a year everything wouldn't remain the same, they wouldn't remain the same. It was truly sad.

She exited her house in a short pink dress and black boots. Her hair was simply parked to the back, she was tired of them hanging on her shoulders. She made little or no attempts on her face, the dark bags were still visible, face swollen and she couldn't care less. It was not like she was going to meet someone important.

What if you run into Heather? She was sure she wouldn't. Heather was always in her illegal fighting club or whatever since she worked there. All she had to do was avoid that area and the chances of running into her was slim to none.

She hadn't bothered taking her car, she decided to take the bus today. It was a good way to relax, she needed a break from driving. Plus her car brought back too many memories and they weren't pretty.

She arrived at her destination and got off. After a few street turns a small cafe came into view and she smiled. The perfect place to spend her day away from everyone.