18.

The second she pushed the door and stepped a foot inside a familiar smell hit her. She inhaled deeply and proceeded to walk in.

"Welcom- oh my God Alexis!" A blonde woman in an apron nearly screamed stopping whatever she was doing and running to give her a quick hug.

Alexis simply smiled

"It's good to see you" she said pulling from the hug and cupping Alexis cheeks "oh dear" her smile fell "you don't look too good."

"Can I have a seat aunt Maisie"

"Oh sure dear" she blushed embarrassed at herself "sorry I kept you standing" and she guided her to an empty seat. The cafe was pretty much empty.

Alexis frowned looking around and Maisie knew what she was thinking about "Business hasn't been booming lately" Maisie said cutting her off her thoughts and she simply nodded unsure of what to say.

She could offer her money or offer to help her but she'd learned the hard way that some people didn't like being offered money or help. She also didn't think she could endure another lash out so she kept her tongue tied.

Maisie was a young woman in her early thirties, she'd met her through her mum. Apparently she was a classmate of her mum. At first she was reluctant to meet her or go to her cafe since she was associated with her mum and she suspected she was a spy for no other than her mum, but she'd run into her once day at a store, her credit card wasn't working and she had no cash on her, Maisie had come to her rescue and paid for her without even knowing who she was. She then handed her her business card and told her to visit her cafe if she wanted to pay her back.

Alexis had gone the next day and they sort of clicked, Maise was a kind hearted woman and she could see that. It wasn't till after months she found out she was the woman her mum wanted her to meet. They both laughed over it and concluded it was fate that brought them together.

She'd go to Maisie everytime she was troubled or had something on her mind, but these past few months her life had been going smoothly so she'd forgotten about Maisie and the cafe but then here she was, on her birthday. It was the only place she could think of.

After what seemed like hours of listening to Maisie rant about her ex husband, how he came back and expected her to throw herself on him and how his recent marriage was crashing. She heard the bell go off signifying someone had come in and Maisie stood up almost immediately, "gotta go attend to a customer" she smiled walking off.

Alexis hadn't bothered to look up lost in her own thoughts when a familiar voice called her name.

She looked up and came face to face with Heather.