Hurting

He closed the book and placed it on the table beside him. Pushing his hand through his hair, he had to know more. Was the ending real or fiction. Picking up his computer he did a quick search to locate her. There was that face he had fallen in love with all those years ago. He immediately booked a flight.

She was glad the book tour was almost over. It had been a grueling schedule, especially having Fitz to take care of. Thank goodness she had the money to have found such a great babysitter that was willing to travel with her. Tomorrow she would be wrapping up in New York and then be home soon.

The next morning she felt energized since this was the last day of book signing. She took a little extra care with her make-up and hair. Since it was getting close to summer she put on a smart-looking red sundress. Heading out early to make sure she had plenty of time to set up, she thought ahead to the next few weeks when she would be off.

After two full hours of her fans wanting her signature, the line was getting shorter and shorter. There were only a few customers left. The next hand that laid a book down was masculine and looked familiar. 

He put both hands down on the table and leaned in saying, "You can just address it to 'Logan', Miss Gilmore." I looked up to see that ever familiar smile. The smile that had charmed me and enticed me so many times. The eyes were narrowed and angry. "I just have one question. Is the ending based on truth or fiction?"

"Hello, Mr. Huntzberger. Unfortunately, the Q&A session was before the book signing began. It is a fictional novel based on real events. I would think a highly educated Yale graduate as yourself would know the answer to that question."

"That's bull shit, Rory," he spit out through clenched teeth. "I want an answer."

"Please step aside and let the other customers get their books signed. I will be available in another hour. Thank you."

I put on  a fake smile for the next customer. Trying to ask nicely who they would like their book addressed to, I was seething inside. Thankfully, the line was relatively short. As the last person left the table, I could see out of the corner of my eye that Logan was standing nearby.

Watching Rory as she continued to sign books, I noticed how little she had changed since I last saw her...almost two years ago. She was still as beautiful as ever, especially in that red dress. Actually, she looked better if that was possible...more womanly. Maybe that was because she'd had a baby. She had a confident air about her or maybe she was just pissed.

He walked up to me as I gathered up my things.

"Can we go somewhere and talk?"

"How dare you come in here and talk to me like that. What gives you the right, Logan?"

He ran his hand through his hair and with pleading he said, "please, Rory, I just want to talk."

"Go outside and I'll be with you in a minute."

He left for the front door and I went to the back to retrieve my purse and call Amy to let her know that I would be getting back to the hotel later than expected. I asked her to give Fitz a bottle and some food.

As I exited the book store, Logan was waiting by the front door. He came up to me. "Look, Rory, I'm sorry for losing it. Can we please get a drink, dinner, anything you like?"

"Where are you staying?"

Logan was a little surprised, but led Rory to his car and opened the door for her. The driver took them to The Four Seasons.

We reached the elevator and stepping inside both of us were silent. The tension between us was undeniable. When we got inside Logan's suite, he asked if I wanted a drink.

"Just water, Logan."

"Can I order you anything to eat?"

"No. What do you want to know?"

"Rory, I read your book. Is the pregnancy you described at the end my child?"

"Yes, Logan, it's your child. Since you showed no interest in wanting to know I was pregnant, I didn't see any point in telling you before the book was published."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the five messages I left on your phone, Logan." Standing up and walking over to look out over the city I wanted to scream at him—tell him how much he had hurt me.

"Six weeks after that wonderful night in New Hampshire, I tried to tell you that I was having your baby. But, you sure let it be known you weren't interested, since you ignored all my messages."

"So, let me see, if I remember things correctly. A beautiful young girl I fell in love with and proposed to when she graduated from Yale turned down my proposal. She broke my heart into a million pieces . After taking years to get over that and finally succeeding, you showed up in Hamburg and I went down the same road again with you. You wanted a 'Vegas' agreement. So, I went along with your 'Vegas' agreement just so I could see you. Then, eighteen months after that had started you ended it again saying, 'every ride has to end'."

"You had a fianceé, Logan. When I asked you if you were going to marry Odette, you said, 'that's the dynastic plan'."

"Look, I don't want to hash over all our history, Rory, but I sure as hell didn't want to try to recover from another damn heartbreak. You had to know that I had feelings for you and you never said anything."

"Logan, you let me walk away. You don't think I wasn't heartbroken. Listen, this isn't getting us anywhere. I need to get home to my son. Here's my number. Call me tomorrow and I'll arrange for you to meet Fitz." I ran out of the suite as fast as I could because I didn't want Logan to see me crying. Just before the door slammed shut I heard Logan say, "Ace."

A/N:  So, what do you think?  A lot of anger.  How will Rory and Logan get through the anger?  Let me know what you think.  I hope you like the beginning.  I've got an idea where this is going, but tell me your ideas.  Thanks for reading.  I love votes and comments.