The Best

As Logan and I prepared for bed that night, I began to feel slightly nervous about the conversation that lay ahead. When we settled into our bed, I snuggled up to him on my side with my head resting on his shoulder. This was something we had taken up way back in college, when we would talk about the day's events. Logan's arm was wrapped around me with his hand resting on my hip. My hand rested on his chest.

"I had a surprise visitor today at the house while I was packing."

"You did? Who?," Logan asked in his deep soothing voice.

"Jess Mariano."

His caressing hand suddenly stopped and his body stiffened. "So, your ex-boyfriend showed up out of the blue. That sounds convenient."

I raised up on my forearm to look in his eyes. Turning his face to look at me, I began, "Logan, listen,I want to tell you something. Don't interrupt until I'm finished,okay?"

In the dimness of the room, our eyes had adjusted so we could see each other clearly. He acknowledged with just a stare.

"There hasn't been anything between Jess and me since high school, not on my part anyway. Besides, he was not my first boyfriend. Dean was. He was a terrible boyfriend, anyway—always running away. You think our parent relationships are bad. Well, his are practically non-existent. On both sides. Although we eventually did have books in common, back then he was mostly just a bad boy and mad at the world. We never did anything but kiss. Now, while I'll admit that he may have had feelings for me for a long time, I haven't had any feelings for him since before I fell in love with you."

"For full disclosure, though, I have to tell you about one thing that happened between us. After I found out about your bridesmaids' entanglement—a nice word for it—I went to Philadelphia to see Jess. He had sent me an invitation to a grand opening and since I was still mad at you I thought I wanted to get a little revenge, so I went. Everyone had left the store and it was just me and Jess. He asked me if everything was fixed and I said yes. We were sitting down facing each other. He leaned in and began kissing me. I jumped up away from him knowing I had made a mistake going there. You were the one I loved even after I thought you cheated and I told him that—that I loved you. I got out of there as fast as I could knowing I had hurt Jess and used him. He didn't deserve that and it's something I would never want to repeat. So, you see babe, I wanted you to know that we both have made mistakes, plus I wanted to be totally honest."

There was quiet and stillness for what seemed like forever, but was actually only thirty seconds maybe. Logan pulled me to him and kissed my forehead. He leaned up over me looking in my eyes. "I know you didn't have to tell me that, but I'm really glad you did. You know, Ace, I was a pretty terrible boyfriend, too. I didn't know what I was doing. All I knew was I didn't like it one damn bit when I had to confront him. I acted like a jerk that time, yelling at you and being an ass toward Jess. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll probably never like the guy, but I believe I've moved on from the jealousy. But, one thing I do know is that he definitely had a thing for you, Ace. He came all the way to Hartford from Philadelphia to show you his book. That is more than what just a friend would do. Also, it's helps to know that the all wise and perfect girlfriend, Rory Gilmore, has some flaws. It makes me feel a little better anyway."

"Well, I'm certainly not a perfect girlfriend and you were a wonderful boyfriend who just had a couple little issues to overcome. I forgave you a long time ago for all that mess with the bridesmaids and I do believe you thought we were broken up. It was just hard to find out the way I did."

"Yeah, that was not good. I was realizing that you were the one and I was struggling. Never having loved anyone before, it was scary and something new for me. Even though I tried some of my old habits, I realized that I was in love with you and only wanted to be with you."