A Do Over

Dinner went extremely well. There was just one statement by Mitchum that triggered Logan's temper. He had assured us that he could provide an attorney that could take care of a custody agreement just so everyone was protected. Logan still hated when his father tried to take control of what Logan should do. He assured Mitchum that he had everything under control and that we would make the decisions about our child together. It seemed to put Mitchum in his place and everything continued smoothly after that.

As we got into the car, Logan blew out a big breath. "Ace, I hope you're okay. Dinner went pretty good, I thought. But, as usual my father was an ass butting in like he did."

"Logan, it's alright. I get that's part of Mitchum's personality. We'll work it out like you said."

"Good, I'm glad you feel that way because I don't want to get attorneys involved. I hope we can just have an agreement between ourselves."

"That sounds wonderful. I think we can go forward deciding what suits us best, too."

Fitz had fallen asleep again and I took him up to his crib when we arrived home. "He was a real trooper, tonight, Ace. Such a happy and content baby."

"Yes, he was a real charmer tonight, just like his father," I said with a smile.

"You want a drink, since you didn't have anything tonight. What was up with that?"

"I'll be back in a minute."

As I came back downstairs, I said to Logan. "So, designated driver, Logan."

"Damn, Ace, I'm sorry. You should have said something. I wasn't thinking at all."

"Okay, just so you know next time you'll be the designated driver and won't be drinking when we go outwith Fitz."

"Is that right?," he smirked as he handed me my drink.

"Yes, that's right Daddy Huntzberger."

"So, Mommy Huntzberger, do you want to talk about anything like our feelings?"

"How do you feel about what happened last night?"

"Jump right in, Ace. I feel that it felt wonderful."

"Ooh! no, cheesy, Logan. Seriously."

"I was being serious. It felt wonderful to have you in my arms again and the rest was better than I remember. Let's do it again tonight," he said with a smile.

"Okay, are you really being serious or just trying to get me in bed again?"

"I'd love to get you in bed again but I thought last night was a great way for us to begin our intimate future again. I do want to continue on that path, Rory. What do you want?"

"It was a nice way to go forward with our 'intimate' future," she said with air quotes. I hope we'll continue on that same path, too. I'm more concerned with our emotional future."

"Nice?, r-e-a-l-l-y! You wound me, Ace," he said as he came close to give me a very passionate kiss. He pulled back staying close, looking in my eyes and asked, "you still want to talk about feelings?"

"I think we should go up to my bed and I'll show you how I'm feeling. Then, maybe we can talk about those feelings. What do you think, Logan?"

"I love that idea, Rory," he said as he bent to kiss the hollow of my neck."

I put my hands on each side of his head messing up his wonderful hair. "So, do you like the new forward me?"

"Definitely, I do. Progress on all fronts. We'll discuss later, Ace. For now, come here," he said pulling me up from the sofa.

Logan and I reached the bedroom. Ashe started to undress me, I touched his face saying, "Logan I really do think we should talk."

"Sure, if that's what you want."

"We both would probably benefit from talking about some of our old hurts."

Putting on a Yale t-shirt and climbing into bed, Logan slid in beside me. "Are you sure you want to dredge up our past mistakes and all the pain that goes with that?"

"Maybe we can heal and let go of some past hurt. I'll start. The marriage proposal and ultimatum. Never in all my life did I want a do over more than with that one'no'. I so wanted to be your wife but I led with my head instead of my heart. You know, I was really naive to think that I would be offered a foreign reporting job straight out of college. At the same time, I didn't understand why you wanted me to sacrifice my dream and go to San Francisco. It was only like a month before that you had said, 'maybe I'll factor you in,' when we were in Stars Hollow at the hay bale maze. I was so lost and missing you like crazy on the Obama campaign trail. None of it made any sense—not your ultimatum or me telling you no."

My god, Logan, I wanted to talk to you—about us, about my new job, about your new job, about everything. I was afraid you'd reject me again, though. We were so terrible at communication. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months and then years. Every guy was compared to you and none of them measured up. I could never really let you go."

The whole time I had been talking,Logan was lying beside me with his hands behind his head just listening. He rolled toward me leaning up on one elbow. Picking up my hair and twisting in his fingers, he said, "I was a total wreck. The pain was unbearable and drinking for days didn't make it stop. I wanted you back. I wanted to take back my words. Yeah, there's nothing more I would like than a do over of that day, too."

I think it was the saddest I had ever heard his voice sound. "Let's have a do over then."

"What?"

"Right now, right here. Not for real, but ask me again with the same words."

He stared into my eyes and began,"Rory Gilmore, you amaze me every day. I don't know a lot but I know that I love you. And I want to be with you forever. Rory Gilmore, will you marry me?"

"Yes, yes, yes, Logan, I will marry you?," I answered with a little smile.

He kissed me like I imagined he would have that night when we would have celebrated our engagement in private. We made love with total abandon like we did when we were so in love with love. It wasn't bittersweet, but did feel different.

As we caught our breath, I laid in his arms with my hand on his chest asking, "did you like that result better?"

"We'll always have the memory of that day, but I liked hearing you say 'yes', Ace. It felt good. Maybe I can get it to stick for real one day," he answered with a smirk.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We had a great day on Sunday with Fitz. Logan spent a lot of time playing with him--trying to get him to walk and to say 'Da-Da' again.

Amy came early as Logan and I were going to dinner before we were meeting Finn, Colin and Stephanie. Robert was off on some business and couldn't get away. Rosemary was staying clear of Finn at the moment.

When we arrived at the familiar club, they were already there with a table. We all hugged. They wanted to know all about Fitz and I showed them pictures. Each of them commented about how much he looked like Logan. After a couple of drinks, Stephanie and I made our way to the dance floor. We laughed and danced like we were in college again.

At the table, Colin asked Logan, "so,how is she?"

Logan looked out at the dance floor watching Rory, "she's great. The same, only better."

"Mate, are you and Mother straightening out all your conflicts about the baby?"

"We're working on it, Finn. Rory and I have been to therapy and it seems to be working. Mitchum has been informed that I want to be back in New York by June 30 and I've rented an apartment in the city. Fitz is my highest priority," he stated as he got up from the table and went to claim Ace before some guy got too close.

Colin and Finn looked at each other with raised eyebrows. "His highest priority is Fitz," Colin said. They both said together, "yeah, we see."

A/N:  I hope you like this chapter.  Logan and Rory seem to be making real head way in their relationship.  Thanks for reading and voting.