Telling All

"Gilmore residence," answered Berta in her ever indistinguishable English.

"Hello, Berta, this is Rory Gilmore. May I speak with my grandma?"

"Yes, yes, Miss Rory."

Emily Gilmore came on the line as she usually did, asking, "Rory, dear, how are you and how is my great grandson?"

"Hello, Grandma. I'm fine and Fitz is great. He took his first steps this week. How are you, Grandma?"

"I'm very well, Rory. I've been keeping myself busy with the museum."

"That's good to hear. I've got some news. I'd like to have delivered it in person, but I've just been too busy to make the trip to see you. Logan and I are getting married."

"That's wonderful news, Rory. I'm so glad things have worked out for you two. So, give me all the details."

"First of all, it's going to be a small wedding in New Hampshire with just family and friends. We've decided on September 28th. We thought we'd have a bigger wedding reception/party, or whatever you want to call it, the following week."

"Rory, that seems so soon and not much time to plan a wedding. Well, what do Mitchum and Shira say about this?"

"Well, Logan and I haven't told them yet. We want the wedding to be intimate and at a B&B that has a special meaning to us. Then, we thought you and Shira could plan the reception the following week. You've always been able to handle Shira so well, Grandma."

"So, you haven't told them yet. Well, I know one thing. Emily Gilmore will certainly be able to show that...Shira how things should be done properly."

In her usual fashion, Grandma was thrilled she had heard the news before the Huntzbergers and I knew without a doubt that she could deal with Shira. Our conversation ended with her best wishes again and plans of her making a trip to Hartford in the next couple of weeks.

On Sunday afternoon we stood before that looming door with Logan hesitate to ring. "If there's one wrong word, Ace, we're leaving."

"Logan, we'll give them the details and hope for the best. It will be their choice to be included or not. I love you. Now, ring the bell."

He gave me that beautiful smile of his and a kiss on the cheek before the door was opened.

"Good evening, Mr. Huntzberger," the maid stated.

We were shown to the family room which I had never seen. It was so much more inviting than the formal living area. Mitchum with his booming voice came forward to greet us. "Logan, how are you, son? Rory, it's good to see you and how is my grandson, Fitz?"

"We are all fine Dad. As you can see, our son is doing wonderfully." Logan went to give his mother a kiss. Shira gave me her usual fake smile and greeting. Even in this modern age of women, she still believed in the society wife role.

After some drinks were passed around to all, Logan began, "Rory and I are here to give you some news. We're engaged and have set the wedding date for September 28. It will be a small event at a B&B in New Hampshire with a larger reception the following week. There will be no further discussion about it, but we hope you'll both be there."

"But, Logan, your standing in business requires that we should..."

"Mom, stop right there. I'm 36 years old, have a son with Rory and it's what we want. The business associates and family connections of the Gilmore's and ours can be included at the reception. Rory and I will give you and Emily Gilmore full reign over that event, with the exception of some input on music and food. We don't see any reason for there to be more than 250 for the reception. You can address everything in the reception invitation and newspaper announcement as 'the couple chose a small, intimate destination wedding.' People do weddings in many different ways these days."