He Tells You About Going to Find The Body

Note: This is kind of a weird preference idea, but I thought that it would be interesting to see the boys talking about their experience going to find Ray Brower, and how it affected all of them in different ways. I'm not sure how good these actually are, but I hope that you all enjoy! Be sure to vote and comment if you do. Also, I just wanted to say thank you for over 5k reads on this story as well as helping get this story to the number 1 ranking for Gordie Lachance. I couldn't have done it without all of you so thank you so much for your continuous support. Thanks for reading! :)

Chris:
Chris had been having nightmares recently. They weren't the usual wake up in the middle of the night bloody murder nightmares, they were something a lot more subtle. You would wake up in the morning and see Chris still asleep with a pain expression on his face. He would start shaking slightly, and you would have to wake him up. When this first started happening, you would ask Chris what he was dreaming about. He would always tell you that he didn't remember and you eventually stopped asking. However, one morning he finally decided to tell you the truth.

You were in the kitchen making breakfast while Chris was in the shower. He eventually came into the kitchen while you were brewing a pot of coffee. He asked you, "Can we talk for a second?"

"Of course," you answered as you sat down at the kitchen table, "What do you want to talk about?"

Chris sat down across from you and took your hand in his. He told you, "It's about the nightmares I've been having. I haven't been completely honest with you. I actually remember what they're about."

"Okay," you said nervously, "What are they about?"

Chris responded by asking you, "Do you remember when that kid Ray Brower went missing in the summer of '59? And how the cops found his body near the Royal River?"

"Yeah, I do. The police got an anonymous tip about where he was," you said, confused about where exactly this was going.

Chris took a deep breath before saying, "What if I told you that I was the one who gave the tip?"

You felt your eyes go wide when he asked that. You and Chris had been together since freshman year of high school. You were now sophomores in college, and he had never so much had mentioned this. The Ray Brower story was a really big deal when it was going on, as nothing like that had ever happened in your small town. It'd seemed like something Chris would tell you about.

"You were the one that found Ray Brower?" You asked, in a state of pure shock.

Chris nodded, "Me, Gordie, Teddy, and Vern."

You were taken aback when he said that. You and Chris hadn't seen Teddy or Vern since sophomore year of high school. The five of you had been close the first two years of high school, but had drifted apart near the end of sophomore year. Gordie, Chris, and you had still remained pretty close. Of course, you knew that the four boys were friends long before you and Chris met, but never knew that their friendship included finding a dead body.

"How did you guys find him? The Royal River is all the way near the back Harlow road," you asked.

"Well, it was the weekend before Labor Day. Vern came into the treehouse, and told us that his idiot big brother and his even more idiotic friend had boosted a car and took a joyride to the back Harlow road and saw Ray Brower there," Chris explained, "And us being dumb twelve year olds, we decided it would be a genius idea to go find the body. We thought we'd be heroes and get our pictures in the paper. But when we actually found the body, something changed. I couldn't do it."

  He paused for a second and squeezed your hand before continuing, "We walked for an entire day, even slept out in the woods for a night. When we got to the Royal River, I thought that it was all worth it; that it was my moment to do something great. But when I saw him...I couldn't do it. I couldn't take him. It didn't dawn on me until we found him that he was a real person. He had thoughts, and feelings, and everything that I had. Something about seeing his lifeless eyes staring back at me made me realize that it wouldn't be right to try and get famous off of his death. His eyes were what really scared the crap out of me. They didn't have any life in them, yet they were still staring at me. It was like he was staring into my soul, like he was trying to tell me something. I've never been able to forget his eyes."