11 : A Day in the Garden

Tanjiro walked up to you looking around suspiciously, as if he was afraid someone was following him, despite his great sense of smell. You knew he was practicing using the breathing techniques constantly, so it confused you, why was he approaching you when he could spend his time doing something useful? When he got close enough, he waved to you leaning in to whisper something. He wasn't much younger than you, but he was taller than you by just a hair. When you leaned in to hear what he wanted to say, he began softly. "I've been hearing rumors about you attacking a civilian, are they true?"

You leaned away with a huff and a roll of your eyes,  "Depends on what you count as 'attacking'."

"Physically harming someone."

"Then yeah, I sure did." You didn't have to explain yourself to him, and both of you knew that. Even if you wanted to defend your side, it would be him to judge you according to what you just said.

After a moment of awkward silence between you two, Tanjiro spoke simply, "Why?"

"The guy tried to get handsy, then threatened the child I was with." You shrugged without a care in the world.

"Shouldn't you try and defend yourself from these rumors then?! You obviously weren't in the wrong! It was self defense-"

"People could argue that it wasn't complete self defense. Besides, I don't have the time to waste on correcting some exaggerated rumors. Let people gossip about what they want to, isn't hurting me any." You interrupted him with a finger in the air. He nodded before noticing it was wrapped in white bandages and raised his brow.

"Did you injure your hand?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I had a grip test with the man who threatened the boy. He had several injuries on his hands. Far worse than the bruising he did to mine." You explained without skipping a beat. "I went to far, and that's what some people will argue."

Before your conversation went any further, you watched a woman walk into the garden. She had the typical uniform on, with a wrapped arm and head. You could tell just by looking at the way she stared at the ground she was shy, and when she lifted her head, her jaw dropped and her eyes widened. "(Y-Y/N)-san!" She shouted with glee. You froze with confusion clearly expressed on your face.

"Am I really that famous now-?" You shuddered at the thought.

"Famous? No, no, we met at the final selection! Do you not remember?" She spoke with sudden confidence. The final selection... it was something you still had no recollection about.

"Eh? Of course I don't remember. I lost all memories of that week and what happened. Sorry..." the woman looked surprised before smiling softly. It turned into a small chuckle.

She inhaled to get control of herself once more, "I can see how your behaviors can be confusing now. I only got to know you for a week or so, and never saw you again. But that week was detrimental to my improvement. The words you spoke to me... it was surprising. You saw right through me, and despite the obvious age difference, you called me a kid..." she let out a small laugh and looked at the ground. "Anyways, I wanted to thank you for letting me tag along that week..."

You narrowed your eyes before uncrossing your legs and standing up. They carried you, swiftly, towards her and stopped right in front of her bowed head. Without hesitation, your hand met her chin softly and pulled her gaze to your face, "What's your name?" You asked unexpectedly. The question seemed to surprise even you as Tanjiro watched the encounter from his spot on the ground.

"U-uh, M-Mitsuko."

"Do I intimidate you?" Your tone wasn't at all deceitful or intimidating, in fact, it was more inviting and sweet. You had asked out of general curiosity since she trembled more the closer you got to her.