Chapter Twelve - Sage

My wolf forced back in her cage, I rose from all fours, looking behind, he hadn't followed me.

Bending down, I grabbed my dress from the floor.  Shaking it out, I lowered and stepped into it, pulling it up, adjusting in on the shoulders before zipping up the side.

My hand shook as I grabbed my underwear, pulling them on as quickly as I could.  The coldness against the hotness of my core sent a shiver through my body.  Seizing my shoes from the grass, it was pointless looking for my stockings. No doubt the wind had had their wicked way with them as I gave a cursory glance, scanning the nearby ground.

Shaking my head.  Bloody hell, anger, fear and lust fought equally inside my head.

What the hell had I been thinking?  Letting her out. Letting him know I was a wolf.

I could have said I didn't know what he was talking about,  but no – I just had to show him!

Looking behind me again, I scanned the trees.  Nope still not followed me.  I breathed in, slightly relieved but undermined by her  disappointment, pacing, unsettled and angry with me.

Ignoring her attitude. I gathered my thoughts.  Now, where's my phone?

I tried to think where I last saw it.

My bag,  yes it was in my bag.  But where was my bag?  Attempting to retrace my steps in my head, my heart began racing, panicking.

Damn!   I'd left it in Hunter's car.  I was stuck here, in his home far away from anybody I knew, without my phone.

Stupid, well done me.   Way to go Sage.   How could I be so stupid!

Any idea popped into my head.  Hunter must have a phone inside the house. Clutching my shoes, I swiftly ran. The damp grass tickled my toes as I headed towards the open doors.

Stepping inside the room, my eyes fell to where he had kissed me against the bookcase.  My hand came to my mouth as I let my finger trace where his lips had been.  A sudden blast of heat rushed from my tummy upwards warming every inch of my chest, neck, face.

Idioté,  why let him kiss me?

Because you wanted him to.

My wolf made her feelings known; she had been extremely pissed off that I had forced her to leave him, there in the woods.  The second she met his wolf; her mind was made up – she wanted him.

Well, that would not happen.  I had a job to do.   I needed to find a phone and get the hell out of here.  How stupid was I, letting him bring me here to his home of all places?

Well he didn't exactly ask me.

I looked around the room, there wasn't a phone in here.  Placing my shoes on the table, I remembered Hunter had his mobile in the kitchen, perhaps I could use that?  Stupid Sage,  it will be locked... surely?

I walked towards the door; it was still worth checking.  Perhaps there was a way to make an emergency call.  I reached the door when I felt his presence behind me.  With my hand on the door handle I froze. Not wanting to turn around.

If I turned around, god only knew what would greet me, and if he stood naked.  Mon Dieu.  There wasn't a cat-in-hells chance I could stop myself from jumping on him.

I couldn't deny it.  I wanted him.  My wolf whined, her thoughts echoing through my mind.  Shut up in there, yes I admit it – but it doesn't change a thing.   She growled.

"Sage." He whispered my name, stood right behind me.  His fiery breath on the back of my neck, warming me, calling to me.   Mon Dieu aide moi s'il te plait.  I gulped.

Rooted to the spot unable to move, powerless to talk, frightened of what might happen if I turned.

"Sage look at me," he said, his voice low, husky... sexual.

Holy wolfsbane.   I shivered, clenching my thighs. He wanted me to turn around.  My breathing picked up.  It would be game over if I looked in his eyes.

He leaned closer to me; his breath tickled my ear. "I know you felt it too," he said.

Heavens above,  he wasn't wrong.  How could he know that?  My eyes glanced up towards the ceiling.

Mine!   My wolf screamed.   Shut up, I can't think!

I had to do something, but he stepped closer to me.  Now unable to open the door, it left me little option, but to turn around to face him.   Stay calm, breathe.

I half turned raking my hand through my hair, trying to quiet my sudden onset of nerves, excitement... arousal.   Mon Dieu!

Realisation hit me hard.  This was new for me,  these feelings, my  own  feelings bombarding my head, my body.   I was so accustomed to experiencing what other people felt. It was a novel sensation, my own desires, my own needs were running the show.

In fact, in  all  my sexual encounters, my feelings became irrelevant, as I could never maintain my blocker.  During sex my barriers would fall and their feelings, desires would overwhelm me, subduing and often drowning out my own.  It had left a trail of disappointment with every sexual encounter, often rendering what was meant to be a special moment as unfulfilling, boring even.

Could this be different with Hunter? I couldn't feel his desires, only my own,  dare I think it?   It was exciting.

Turning, I met his black eyes, still darkened from the change.

I didn't dare look down. But at least he appeared to be wearing bottoms of some sort, as my eyes caught the edge of what appeared to be clothing.   Now, just his glorious broad bare chest was begging for my attention.  And Mon Dieu, did I want to give him attention?  Hell yes!

Mine,  she whined. Pipe down!

Goosebumps flooded my arms and for a crazy moment I wondered what it would have been like if his wolf had sunk his teeth into me, jumped me, pinned me down.

Mine!  I felt a low rumble in my chest.  She wanted out.

My stomach tightened and my nipples hardened against the material of my dress. I bit my bottom lip trying to ignore the burning sensation that was spreading outwards in all directions.

Get a grip Sage.  Wanting him will only lead to pain.   My eyes stared deeply into his, his earthly brown seeping through the black. Heavens above.   Please just move back, don't look at me. Don't touch me... Mon Dieu.  I couldn't say the words, deep down I didn't want to say them.

Closing my eyes for a moment I opened them, swallowing.  His smile was slow but heart-stoppingly beautiful. His eyes fell on my lips as my breath caught in my throat.

We continued to stare, his eyes roaming over my entire face, as if detailing every minor feature. 

 I felt hot, so hot, and he felt even hotter still. "What did you mean outside, before you changed?" I asked.  His words steamrolled through my brain. My heart kicked up a notch. 'I want everything from you, the whole package.'

The blood whooshed through my veins, pumping hard as I waited for him to say something, anything.

He brought up his hands, pressing them flat against the door on either side of me to hold me in place, forcing me to take a step back. The hardness of the door pressed up against me. "It's because I know what I want, and I want you Sage," he replied. His gaze open, honest, unflinching.

My heart faltered.  Holy wolfsbane.  I blinked.

"And I know you want me to," he said without hesitation.

I didn't have time to react as his lips crashed down on mine.  Mon Dieu.

He wasn't wrong!