Chapter 42 - Hunter

Twenty-four hours later, I was sat with Sage's head on my lap, having hardly left her side. The twisting of the door handle caught my attention, and I hoped to god it wasn't that fucker who did this to her. Her brother.

A familiar head popped around the door. "Any change?" she faltered before stepping inside.  Her eyes sought my approval to enter, closing the door gently behind her.

Returning a weak arsed smile, she knelt beside Sage, taking her hand in hers. I continued to stroke her hair, loving its silkiness against my fingers.

'Wake up baby, please.'  I ushered silently, my thoughts floating across the empty space between us.

Silence was my reply. Our link had been severed. It was killing me, having her this close and yet not here with me.

Barely resisting a sigh, I had no control over the emptiness of despair that ravaged my mind and body and soul.  I was nothing without her. She was the other half of me.

What the fuck would I do if I lost her? My wolf whimpered in response; he was just as lost as I was.

"I still can't get my brain around it," she heaved, snapping me from my dark thoughts.

I nodded my head as the sound of Sage's ear-piercing shriek from yesterday lodged itself in my heada scream I would never forget.

"I know you don't want to hear this but you can't blame him Hunter."

I growled. Yes, I fucking could blame him. Whatever he'd done had caused this shit-storm. And even worse, I didn't have a fucking clue what to do to make it right.

"It's killing him too... He's out there blaming himself."

Avoiding eye contact. "I'm not asking Pearl. Just keep him away from me and—" I ran my finger across her cheek. "And her. I don't want that fucker anywhere near her. Or so help me God Pearl..."

In my head I couldn't stop thinking he'd done something to our bond, the one we shared since we'd marked each other. It wasn't fucking rocket science to see he hated my guts and wanted Sage to walk away from me.

Pearl held up her hand in submission. "Okay, message received loud and clear."

I didn't want to be angry with her. This wasn't her fault. "Sorry Pearl, my head's fucked.  I cant deal with how  he's  feeling at the minute."

She barely managed a smile, dropping the subject. "You need to sleep Hunter. Sitting here ain't helping. The rest of us can take turns sitting with her, keep her company."

My jaw clenched. "I'm good. I need to be here, just in case I get through to her. Or she's trying to come back to me." Sure something or someone was stopping her.

"Hunter, if she knew that I let you sit here just moping, not looking after yourself—she would rip me a new one. Now I'm not asking, I'm telling. Grab a shower, something to eat and I will sit here with her... and I'll talk non-stop. And if that doesn't wake her up nothing—." She froze. "—Shit, Hunter, sorry I didn't mean..."

I cut in. "It's fine Pearl." But maybe she had a point. I needed a shower and speak with Zander. Perhaps the only way to wake her up was to find this dream-walker monster and make him undo what he'd done to her. "You'll stay right here with her.  I don't want her alone Pearl?"

She nodded fiercely. "Yeah, won't leave her side, pinkie promise." She wiggled her little finger in front of me, prompting something that I hadn't done for nearly a day... I smiled.

"Okay." Softly, I lifted her head and manoeuvred myself from under her. Grabbing some pillows, I gently propped her head upon them. The ache in my chest was almost unbearable. Bending down I kissed her dry lips. She felt cold. To anyone, it would look like she was sleeping. Grabbing a nearby cover, I placed it softly over her. 'Come back to me baby.'