Chapter 41 - Sylar

Observing my sister and her mate, boyfriend—whatever the hell he was entering the room, something shifted inside, unlike any feeling I'd experienced. 

Breathing deeply, I rolled the strange feeling along with the others that Hunter Stone brought upon me, deep down, somewhere where I could analyse them later. I had to restrain groaning, but my wolf growled on both our behalves.

I did, however, recognise the tinge of jealousy that reared its ugly head, aware of the connection they now shared. I had to force hands to remain flat against my thighs as I controlled the urge to smash his head into the wall.  That self-satisfying asshole wasn't good enough for her. He never would be, and I knew beyond a doubt he was going to hurt her in the worst way possible.

Swallowing my frustrations, the bitterness of her choices remained uneasy in my gut. But I had to pull back. Speaking my mind had done me no good so far, and if I pushed herI knew she would distance herself from me... choose him.

And I couldn't allow that—I wouldn't allow that.

He eyed me carefully as Sage released his hand and made her way to the sofa.

"A word outside Sylar before we get this show started," he said, angling his head as his eyes darkened - as if to challenge me.

Moron!

"Sure, outside. This won't take long." Standing, I peered down and smiled at Sage, who hesitantly returned my smile before looking towards Hunter. She appeared worried.  Whether it was because I was going to have a talk with him or that she was about to give me access to all her memories, thoughtsI didn't know.

Following him out I closed the door behind us.  He walked a few metres before he turned and stood, crossing his arms across his chest. Pushing my shoulders back, I stopped to ensure there was some distance between us. My wolf was itching to get out, knowing Hunter thought of me as nothing but a kid... Sage's kid brother. My jaw tightened. He knew nothing about me and what I was capable of.

Although when I had tried to send him to sleep in the marquee. He had resisted me and only zoned out when I had touched him to enforce my control. I didn't know what made Hunter Stone different... yet.

I waited for him to talk. Leaning up against the cool wall, I folded my arms and raised one knee, resting my foot flat against it.

"Listen, Sylar. I know you ain't happy about me and Sage. And I get where you're coming from, yeah?" He lowered his arms and ran one hand over his chin and up across his cheek, shoving his other hand into his jeans pocket. "Fuck, I'd be the same if I had a sister who was with someone... like me."

At least we could agree on something. I raised my eyebrow, resisting a sarcastic comment. He watched to check I was listening.

"But that's all changed now—I've changed.  Everything is different. It's only Sage for me, it's been that way since the moment she stepped into my office. No one touches what we have.   And as much as you wish I'd disappear; I ain't going nowhere. Not unless Sage asks me to leave."

Choosing his words carefully, his eyes returned to mine. "I love your sister.  I love Sage. She's everything to me, and there is nothing that I wouldn't do for her."  A long regretful sigh followed.  "I'm not stupid, I know without a doubt you will have heard about my reputation. Especially with women." Plowing his hand through his hair,  this lost boy act wouldn't  work with me, he could talk as much as he wanted.  It wouldn't change a thing.  

He continued. "Believe me, if I could change the past, I wouldn't hesitate.  Sadly it is what it is—but this is different.  It's important that you understand that."