Chapter 23 - Sage

"Thank you Mike, yes it's fine for him to come up, I'm expecting Mr Stone." My stomach erupted into a flurry of craziness as Mike the building's doorman announced Hunter's arrival. He was now only an elevator ride away.

My breathing quickened as I looked around my flat. Oui—okay, tidy, good.

My wolf paced restlessly, her emotions were as strong as mine, she wanted to see him too.

A warning flooded my mind, and I tried to ignore the niggling doubt that circled around as if the thoughts weren't my own.

Shaking my head, looking down at my outfit, I smiled at Pearl's choice. We had decided a relaxed appearance would fit the occasion and the summer dress draped nicely over my curves. Fluffing my hair, my toes curled into the rug beneath my them as I tried to relax.

I'm ready, we're ready.  Breathe,  it's not like we're meeting for the first time.

Then why did I feel so nervous?

My mind wandered over the telephone conversation just an hour earlier, he had expressed no anger at my lack of contact. And he had asked to see me. So that was a good sign—right?

Yes.    I clenched my hand tightly and breathed deeply. "Be like Pearl, confident." I wished she had now stayed, to stop me doing anything rash—like throwing myself at him.

The doorbell rang.  Mon Dieu.  My head whipped around. He's here!

I ran my hands over my dress attempting to settle the swarm of bees buzzing around my stomach... it failed.

Breathe.  I walked to the door.

Opening, I drank in the sight of him. How he looked more beautiful than the last time I saw him was beyond me, he had his jacket in his hand and his shift cuffs were unbuttoned and rolled up to his elbows.

My wolf purred as I saw her lift her nose and sniff the air, inhaling deeply. She scented his wolf and I could feel her heart pound, vibrating through my entire body.

I almost jumped when she let out a sudden possessive snarl.

Mate!   

Her thoughts bounced around my head as I saw her eyes shift to a deep blue, darker than I had ever seen before.

Ignoring her. I drew my attention back to him. Holy Wolfsbane. He looked sexy; my blood pumped faster. "Hunter." Thankfully my voice was steady.

I stepped back to allow him entry, but he didn't move. He licked his lips as he took a moment to gaze at me.  His eyes burned as they seared into mine. His intense expression instigated a spark, my cheeks to burst into flames.

He dragged his teeth across his bottom lip before a slight smile kicked in at the edge of his mouth. Eyes narrowed, they drifted over the rest of me. 

I knew that expression—like he wanted to devour me whole. As his eyes returned to mine, satisfied, they darkened, the golden flecks almost invisible. Goosebumps flooded my arms.

I wanted him to touch me.   I needed  to touch him.

He stepped towards me.  His warm breath fanned my face, and I had to tilt my head to look up to him.

His hands came around my waist, squeezing, pulling me towards him. He leaned in brushing his nose along the delicate skin of my neck. "I missed you," he whispered, his tone low, sexy, filled with intent.

Swallowing, a small moan escaped as my wolf purred.  I melted into his grip and before I mustered the words to tell him I'd missed him, he pulled back and kissed me.