Chapter 24 - Hunter

I groaned looking at the message from my brother wanting to know my whereabouts. Rolling my eyes, I threw my phone onto the seat next to me and pulled away from Sage's apartment building. No point calling him, he could wait another half-hour and I had other more pressing thoughts running around my head.

London traffic was a bitch at any time of day but even the beeping of car horns and drivers yelling out their windows couldn't distract me from the peculiar feeling which slithered up my spine, tightening its hold, something was off—wrong.  And no matter how many times I tried to reassure myself, it just wouldn't budge.

Some relief had come with seeing her, talking to her, but I had gone to visit her, not only because I had  to see her, but I'd wanted answers to the questions that haunted every moment of my waking hours since yesterday.

Then why the fuck hadn't I asked those questions?   You know why.

Charles Du-Ponte's name went off like an alarm bell in my head.

Why hadn't I quizzed her about him... her grandfather?  Or tried to slip in the subject of the recent suicides in and around the London packs?

I knew why

Because I didn't want to give her any reason to end the possibility of what we might have together.

Why?

Because I was afraid to lose her. 

Fuck!

Again, I tried to wrap my head around this whole Sage Dufrene quandary. I'd known her almost a week, and I knew for a fact, given a choice I wouldn't let her go, not now, not ever.  Period.   We just had to get past whatever was holding her back from me.

My wolf grumbled. He was pissed we'd just walked away from her, again.  He hadn't stopped bombarding me whilst I was with her, touching her, tasting her. His intentions had barged their way into my brain with the same demand... over and over.

Mate—Mate her!

I blew out a puff of air. I'd never given two thoughts about finding a mate... my mate.

Didn't fucking believe in it for a start. But how else could I explain what's happened to me?

She's literally all I thought about. And when I was with her, every inch of me—every fucking nerve in my body came alive, like I'd never lived a full day before her.

I slammed on the horn of my car as some wanker pulled out ahead of me. His cheap-arsed BMW almost took the front end off my car. I glared at him through his mirror and he glanced away.

Yeah that's right sunshine, fucking drive like you've passed a test. Prick!

I clenched my jaw as I continued driving. My mind returned to the only subject that filled every corner of my head as I tried to rationalise it for the umpteenth time today.

It was widely known  I was a hard bastard, took no shit from anyone, had to be in my position. Couldn't allow for any sign of weakness with the current reigning Alpha's, as they would sense it—smell it a mile off, therefore, had to be on top of my game.

My reputation for being a womanizer was also commonly acknowledged, and I wasn't surprised when her cousin called me on it—she had every right too.

And, when I thought back, yeah, I'd been a cunt to lot of women. True, I was always upfront. But I'd basically used them and moved on to the next. So, if truth be told I had been an all-round piece of shit where women were concerned.