Chapter 45 - Sage

I was drifting in and out of this bizarre place. The Dream-walker had caught me riffling around his mind. Casting me into this inky blackness. Where I was now trapped inside my own mind.

'Sage... time to wake up, break free.'  The voice was familiar, but so far away. 'Hello?'

'Break free Sage, you're stronger than you think.'

Frustration welled up deep inside my mind. It felt like weeks since I'd physically moved. No concept of time. I wouldn't stay here a moment longer. I would not be held against my will. It was time for me to wake the hell up.

Pushing all my mental effort into one thought. I was going to force my body to waken.

Seconds passed into minutes, hours I wasn't sure. But then the breakthrough I waited for came like a bullet from a gun. I moved my fingers.  Oui, oui, oui!

Focusing harder. I wiggled them again.  Oui!   Was the Dream-walkers control lessening?

I pushed with everything I had inside me... and then it happened, my hand jerked.

"Sage?"

Sylar?   The sofa dipped down as he took my hand. "Sage, can you hear me? Move your hand again if you can."

I could do this. Mentally taking a breath, I wiggled my fingers. Sylar squeezed my hand.

My ears pricked as I heard someone enter the room. "Gavin, she just moved. Moved her hand."

His excitement was my encouragement. I pushed every ounce of determination into gripping his hand. "See, she's doing it again, she's squeezing my hand!"

"Daddy, down."

Hannah was here! I could hear her sleepy voice.

"Down Daddy," she instructed. "Sage needs me."

"Okay, pumpkin." Gavin lowered his daughter.

"I think she's waking up." I heard Sylar.

Sylar released his hold on my hand and I felt a much smaller one take mine. It was warm and our connection was instant. My mind shunted as I felt the release, like air being let out of a balloon. I pried open my sticky eyelashes and hazily stared into a familiar pair of eyes. "Sylar." I breathed out. Finally!

"Jesus Sage, you had me so worried... I'm so sor—"

I swallowed to relieve the dryness of my parched throat. "Don't Sylar, this wasn't your fault." I croaked, knowing this was the work of the Dream-walker and my grandfather. Another pair of eyes greeted mine.

Hannah.

This was the first time I could put a picture to the voice that had been keeping me sane. "Hannah." I smiled at the voice that had given me hope when I thought I would never escape his clutches.

"Help me up." Sylar helped me up, and I swung my legs from the sofa. It was heaven to feel my own body, to be in control of my own mind. Although I didn't have a clue why his power had suddenly withdrawn. Worryingly, I didn't think I broke free through sheer will.

"He's busy." Hannah interrupted my thoughts, reading my mind. "He can only control so many. And I can feel all the wolves." That made sense. My eyes fell on Pearl. "Pearl?" My heart was in my mouth, she looked so pale, close to death.

"She's okay, Sage," Gavin offered me reassurances. I knew she had been possessed by something. Agony ravaged my heart.

Hunter!  "Where's Hunter?" I tried to stand, dizziness clouded my head and my legs wobbled. Sylar caught me, sitting me back down.