Chapter 35 - Sage

I hadn't expected this. For him to be so—calm.

His words ticked over. He thought I was his mate.

He wanted me!  

Even though I just told him I was different and there was a strong possibility I'd killed people, wolves. He was placing his position and his brothers as the head of Wolfe Industries in jeopardy—just for me?   Could I allow him to do that?

Was it wrong to want it so much—want him so much?

Looking into his beautiful eyes, that remained darkened by the change, he looked vulnerable, unsure. Not the Hunter I recognised. I doubt anyone had seen this side of him.

"Please Sage, you're killing me here. Are you mated to someone else?" His voice lowered, possessive.

I shook my head. "No Hunter."

Relief reflected for a brief moment before a darker look shadowed his face. "What about Sylar?" He flicked his chin up.   "Pearl told me you dream about him." His voice was edged with something, contempt maybe?

"You don't have to worry about me and Sylar Hunter, he's my brother."

In an instant his face softened, from dark to relieved—hopeful. "Really, yeah? Wait a minute, I thought all your family were dead?" he asked.

"Oui, I thought so too.  But it appears my grandfather has been lying to me for—for the last nineteen years."  And he murdered my parents.  I couldn't tell him that... yet.  I wasn't ready to deal with that pain.

The realisation that struck my chest was sudden, unbearable. My bottom lip quivered, my eyes burning with tears, unable to contain them any longer. My hands rushed to cover my face, not wanting Hunter to see me fall apart.

"Baby," he said soothingly as he pulled me against him. The heat of his body cracked through my ice walls, warming me.  It filled  me with something I hadn't felt since I'd walked into my grandfather's home yesterday—hope.

"Shhh, Sage. Baby, I'm here. I'm never letting you go, listen to what I'm saying yeah?  I want you."

I inhaled a staggered breath, more tears falling. Just him calling me baby affected me more than expected. Heat crept up my neck, across my face whilst still buried in his beautiful wall of chest. I decided he deserved my honesty, having told him my darkest secret, he was here holding me tightly.

"Yes," I mumbled.

"Yes, what?" he asked softly, kissing the top of my head.

I pulled my head back to look up at him.  His beautiful brown eyes warm and trusting. "Everything tells me you're my mate."

He  relaxed against me, but I could hear his heart beating furiously.  A smile crossed my lips as something else happened.  He hardened against me, poking into my thigh. 

Cockily, he raised an eyebrow, a devilish smirk lifting his lip.  His thumbs came up to my face, swiping away a stray tear. "Sorry, he's happy... and my wolf too.  If you could hear his howling in my head, gonna give me headache at this rate." He smiled, shaking his head. "You have his arse whipped too."

My smile fell as I nibbled my bottom lip.

"Sage?" He gripped my chin in-between his fingers, lifting my face to look at him. "What?" he prompted.

"I haven't felt my wolf since... the Dream-walker, yesterday."

"The what... Dream-walker?" He released his hold on my chin.