Chapter 38 - Hunter

She couldn't talk to me, effectively blocking me out.  Alarm bells rang in my head.  My gut gripped by air turbulence. I might not been able to hear her, but I could still feel her.  This was how she felt and it pained me knowing I couldn't soothe her.

I wanted to be near her. To hold her. But it would have to wait. Her distress was clearly to do with her brother. Clamping myself to the spot, it irked my wolf, gnawing at my insides.

Pipe down, she needs space to handle this. He huffed his frustration. I had to trust she was okay.

'Hunter!' Zander yelled in my head, pushing my thoughts out the way. My head snapped in his direction, irritated.

"I suppose it was out the question to wait, wait until we had this shit sorted?"

"Eh, what?"

He sighed. "You—marking Sage! You listening?" 

That pissed me off.   For once could he try not  to sound like dad?

A heavy weight sat on my chest.  It should been done properly.  My grandfather had told me about mating ceremonies, when I was a kid.  But I couldn't un-do what had been done.  It felt right. It was what I wanted.  She  was who I wanted.   It was the truth when I'd told her. No other woman would or could ever compare to her.

I shrugged my shoulders, suppressing my anger—my guilt.  "Timing might not have been perfect.  But I don't regret it. I wasn't gonna let her slip away again. Would have thought you of all people would understand where I'm coming from."

He rubbed his hand over his chin, a flicker of guilt in his eyes. "We need to know more about Du-Ponte and that fucked up dream-walker guy she mentioned."

Looking back towards the house in the distance, not interested in that shit right now. I just wanted to be with her. Shoving my hands in my jeans pocket. I wasn't going to wait any longer. About to announce my intention of charging in there, Sage spoke to me, telling me we could head down. I internally sighed. "We can head up to the house, you coming?"

"I'm coming" said Pearl from behind me. I glanced in her direction.

Zander looked a little hesitant but flicked his head. "Keys? And I can't believe you took my new fucking Model S. Haven't even drove it myself yet, cheeky bastard."

Grunting, raising a brow, I turned to Gunner. "Keep your eyes open, yeah? Let us know if anyone tips up."

He snorted, sitting his arse down on the bonnet of his car. "Let's go." The three of us climbed into Zander's car.

A few minutes later we arrived and parked up next to a Volvo. If Gunner hadn't tracked that car, then I would never have found her, maybe even lost her for good.

The thought was sobering and fucking scary.

As we approached the door a pain sliced through me. Sage's anger twisted around my stomach, but strangely I knew it was nothing but a shield to mask her pain... sadness. And like a wounded animal scared for their life, lonely. I knew her shield was about to crumble down and her pain spill out.

Mate!  my wolf said.  Find her.

"Something's wrong." The door opened to reveal a woman. "Where's Sage?" I didn't have time for introductions or watch my tone.

"She's upstairs—with Sylar."

"She needs me," was what I said as I barged my way past her, into her home. I belted up the stairs, her scent and distress leading me towards an open bedroom.