Chapter 43 - Hunter

Ash floated around the room like dirty flakes of snow.  An odour as rancid as sewage clung to my lungs. Had she killed it? "I assume that's what left of the Shadow thing or whatever the fuck it was?" I speculated.

"Can you please refrain from swearing Hunter?" Misha sighed whilst brushing ash from her singed clothing. "I don't want my daughter to hear that kind of language."

My cheeks flushed with embarrassment, but nodded my head. "Sorry, never been around kids." She quirked an eyebrow, tilting her head.

"WhatHow did you do that?" Zander asked Misha whilst assessing his surroundings.  Nothing rarely freaked him... but this did. I could taste his unease, as the same discomfort crept down my spine.

She looked at him, just as confused as the rest of us, shrugging her shoulders.  "I honestly don't know. I just did." She turned from Zander and walked over to Pearl, who had been placed in a chair. She looked unconscious, at least I hoped she was.  I didn't want Sage waking to find out her cousin had been killed in the crossfire.  

Misha felt for a pulse before resting her hand on her forehead. "She'll be fine in a few hours."

I breathed a sigh of relief as Zander's eyes flicked to mine. 'We could very well end this.' I knew exactly what he was referring to. Including the strength of all the wolves. We had some serious supernatural weird shit at our disposal.  We could take down Du-Ponte and the dream-walker freak.

"Down Daddy," objected Hannah, breaking mine and Zanders' link conversation.

Hannah made her way over to me and Sage.  I stilled and as much as Misha surprised me with her abilities. I had a strange feeling this little girl had more power in her small body than the rest of us in the room put together.

Hannah giggled; her big brown eyes lit up with glee as tiny bits of ash landed in her palm. And although it was the remains of something dead, I guess you could be forgiven in thinking it was snow.

Blowing the Ash, seeming undisturbed. She looked down at Sage lying in my arms. "I can help, she wants to talk to you. Now!"

I wasn't sure if I was following. "You mean Sage wants to talk to me... Now?"  My heart skipped a beat.

"Yes. She has been talking to me since yesterday and she says you have to stop blaming Uncle Sylar for what happened. It wasn't his fault." Frowning at me before turning to smile at her uncle.

A slither of guilt inched its way into my gut—but not much. She was telling the truth; Sage wouldn't be happy with me blaming her brother, but I had bigger things to worry about rather than his feelings. "How can you­ do—" I stopped, shaking my head, that didn't matter. "How can I talk to her, Hannah?"

"I can open up a link. Create a place where he can't see you.  He can't control your wolf or hers. I can get your wolf inside her head."

That was good enough for me, and my wolf howled. He was excitedly wagging his tail at the thought of being with his mate. I was too beyond happy. "Okay, tell me what I need to do."

"Nothing... but hold my hand," she retorted confidently. I was honestly blown away by the little girl in front of me, sure she was beyond her years—not that I had much experience with kids!

Reaching out eagerly, she placed her small hand in mine. Her other hand she lay on Sage's shoulder.

Her big brown eyes stared into mine. "Now, close your eyes. It won't hurt... much, but it will be quick." I could see a hint of mischief in her eyes.

Doing as instructed and before I could ponder if it would hurt or if she was messing with me. An electric bolt sliced through to my core and every hair on my body stood to attention. About to cry out. I was thrust from my body. Although something told me I hadn't gone anywhere. Slightly dazed I Looked down.   Not feeling any pain, my enormous wolf's paws came into view. Damn, she was good.