t w e n t y - o n e

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

t w e n t y - o n e 

"You good?" it's murmured softly, as Adah used her hand to jut Micajah's head up, prying his eyes away from the paperwork before him.

It was the next morning, and Adah didn't feel like leaving Micajah alone. She knew he was feeling some type of way, and was putting this whole situation down to him, as if it was his fault. It wasn't his fault, not in any way, shape or form. Micajah didn't ask to be born this way, and if anything he was handling it a lot better than anyone else would have, and was channeling his energy into his duties. He was doing amazing as King. Adah let him know this, whispering the words when they were in bed together last night.

The circumstances placed onto them were scary. The thought of a war breaking out was terrifying. No one wanted war. But Adah truly wasn't worried about that, though she knew the losses of lives would be tragic, her concern always laid on her mate first. If war did happen, and Micajah overthrown, he'd be killed. Her heart cracks – she needed him, she wouldn't let it happen.

So, after breakfast, she latched onto her mate and set off with him to his office. He was sifting through payment files currently, and Adah was sitting on top of the desk. It was the first time she ever been in his office. It was pretty dull and lonely.

"Yeah," his tone is low, pressing his lips to hers for reassurance, before carrying on with the paperwork.

He knew deep down that he couldn't fret over why war could happen – he couldn't change that. He just had to minimise everything. He had to be focused. He knew his birth wasn't his fault, but everything still felt like it was. Maybe it was because he took the role as King. He wanted to keep his wolves safe, and now something like this could occur, and the impact would be devastating.

"It just seems stupid. The fact that war could break out because I'm not liked. Maybe I should step down-," Micajah mutters, and Adah hushes him with a finger to her lips.

"Your family has always reigned the throne. Always," her dark eyes are sharp, and her tone low.

"And if war broke out, it wouldn't be because of the fact that you aren't liked. It's different. They're trying to overthrow you because they don't have faith in you, don't trust you. It's because they don't agree with you. They think your ruling will be chaotic, and vicious. They clearly don't know you, because that isn't the case. For definite now – you've been improving immaculately. Don't ever give them the chance to take something away that is yours. You were born more wolf than male, but you were born a King. And you will always be a King," Adah says firmly, no room for argument. Micajah doesn't pick at her words anymore.

A knock on the door startles them both, before Uriah pops his head around. He grins, trying to ease the dullness surrounding them after the meeting that occurred last night.

"You guys didn't come for breakfast. So, we bought you some," he opens the door fully, and Jayden is there balancing a tray with some fruit and bread rolls. He's even got tea for Adah.

She smiles. Micajah doesn't look up away from his desk, and she rolls her eyes before pushing the files away from. She slips away from the desk, heading to the small seating area and pulling Micajah with her. Jayden places the tray on the coffee table, before the two males sit down on the couch.

"Thank you," she mumbles, plopping a strawberry into her mouth.

"Yo, we're your beta and gamma. We're meant to be making sure you two are both in good health, remember?" Uriah shakes his head, but it goes over Adah's ears. Her eyes narrow onto the newspaper that Jayden has propped underneath the cup of tea.

She picks up the mug, pulling the newspaper.

Her eyes meet Jayden's, whose timid features are sullen.

"The chain reaction. Already?" her voice is a mere whisper, and she opens it out fully, Micajah peering over her shoulder. He places a kiss on her collarbone, as they read it together.

An entire pack from the upper north had made a statement speaking out against Micajah, the whole pack in protest of the monarch's ruling. They claimed Micajah was an unfit King, who is merciless when it comes to the lives of wolves and the respect for the dead. He was inhumane when it came to killing - not showing true characteristics of a proper King. Micajah's jaw clenches. The part where the wolves killed two members of his pack had been left out.

"We thought it would be easier to break the news over some food," Uriah shrugs casually, but his features are evidently annoyed.

"Whose pack is this?" Adah's brow furrows.

"Alpha Tyler's," her mate responds, his voice deep. Uriah's eyes roll, shaking his head at the paper, murmuring how he never liked them either.

"He's quite influential. A lot of packs will have seen this statement, they'll start looking into things, and eventually begin to choose sides. Overthrowing the monarch is going to involve everyone, whether they like it or not. Unlike other pack wars, no packs can be neutral here," Jayden sighs.

"We'll just have to make them choose us," Adah says, but as soon as the words leave her mouth, her brows furrow. It was easier said than done.

"War is for sure gonna happen. This is how it all starts. We have to start preparing our wolves, Micajah. And soon," Uriah says as Adah takes a sip from her tea.

"Okay. Uriah, you and me will talk to the elite pack warriors tonight, and give them some insight to this ordeal. Not the entire thing. I don't want our pack to be worried, but no doubt they've seen this. I'll write a letter, and send it out to all families, to clear things up," Micajah begins, form in control.

"After we talk to the warriors, we can push forward training and amp it up. We'll work it with them," and Uriah nods.

"And in terms of reaching out to other packs," he trails off unsure, eyes looking to his Queen, whose eyes suggest she's in deep thoughts.

"I would have said hold a gathering, or perhaps visit each pack to talk and gain their faith. But that's too unpredictable, you never know where loyalties lie, and we might get harmed during that process. Especially if tensions are considerably going to get much higher," Adah says.

"We can just phone them," Jayden says, with a timid shrug, and Adah nods.

"We can phone them, and that way definitely rule out the wolves that are not on our side, and on our side. We can then visit the packs of those wolves that are not sure, under a peace treaty," she suggests and Jayden nods.

"That sounds perfect," Micajah nods.

"I suggest that Micajah calls up all the Alpha's, and Adah all the Luna's. That way, each ruling pair is talked to, and they can then converse with each other," Uriah says, and they all nod.

"For now, I will conduct normal pack duties. I'll also keep an eye out for anymore news that suggests of protests and keep a track of that. Later tonight, me and Micajah can talk to the warrior committee," Uriah mumbles.

"I'll do some digging into the Elder Council. Behind the scenes. Find out who leaked the incident, and which wolves from the council are involved in where, and what connections they have regarding packs. Not all the wolves in the Elder Council are against us, just the majority. I'll suss out that entire situation. I have no doubt Alpha Tyler was assisted with a member from the Elder Council behind him," Jayden says.

"Me and Micajah can begin making phone calls. There are 30 packs to get to so, it should take us a few days to reach everyone," Adah says.

"We can meet at the end of the week. Get updates on the progress," Micajah says with finality, and the other three agree. 

A/N - okay i prefer this chapter over the old one i had up. thoughts?