t w e n t y - t h r e e

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

t w e n t y - t h r e e 

Adah's nap felt good. She slept heavenly through the rest of the afternoon – there was just something about sleeping during the day that felt good. When she woke, it was on the tether of turning into the evening. She had a little time before Micajah would come get her.

Her face warms, her stomach erupting in flutters. She was glad they were going to spend some time together. Alone. Ever since she was marked, everything seemed hectic. There was no time just for them, and if the past week was any indication of how it would be later, they'd never have time for each other. Especially with the circumstances arising now.

Her mind briefly wonders to what her mate has set up – she didn't necessarily care what it was, she'd be glad to just to have him to herself for a while- but the thought appeased her. He said to dress warm, so they were probably going to be outside. Winter nights were ruthless, so Adah was going to wrap up. She wasn't even going to attempt to dress with skin showing.

She lulls in the bed for the next hour or so, form lazily sprawled in the sheets. When the time inches closer to seven, she sits up, undoing her curls from her messy bun, and letting them tumble down her back. She heads into the shower, hoping the warmth will wake her up a bit. After brushing her teeth, she slips into some loungewear, before placing a big oversized hoodie on top. She pulled her hair up into a messy bun, the curls from the front defying the style, and pulling out.

A knock on the door, causes her head to turn. She pads over, opening it. Her features set on her mate, lips curving into a smile instantly. His features are relaxed, brows not furrowed but smooth. A lazy grin captivates his lips. Adah grows hot – a grin looked good on him. Like her, he wore sweats too, a navy hoodie hiding his toned torso.

It was as if there was no responsibility for the both of them here, as if the threat of war wasn't looming over them, and they weren't King and Queen. They were just Adah and Micajah. Mates.

Adah wished it was more like this. Sure, her and Micajah were close, but they had to grow close because they both had positions and duties that needed to be carried out together. She hadn't gotten to truly know who he was, and it was the same for him.

His features were almost coy, lips smirking mischievously. His eyes glinted underneath the mop of dark, thick black locks he had. One hand was shoved into his pocket, and the other was holding a woven basket, that looked heavy. It was big.

"Evening," his voice was soft and alluring, eyes twinkling. Adah tiptoes, kissing the tip of his nose.

"Hi," she greets, her features a lot more fresh. He takes his hand out his pocket, lacing it with hers.

"We're going on a walk. Is that okay?" he asks, and Adah nods with a smile.

As expected, the air was cold and brisk. Thankfully, the ground hadn't iced over, and snow hadn't fallen in the last few days. Adah doesn't feel the cold, her whole form is basking with warmth. The wolf in her is dancing with joy and happiness. 

They talk about small things, laughing and bantering with each other. Adah feels good – she hasn't seen Micajah just be a regular wolf, carefree. They walk upon one of the gravel paths that leads them out of the courtyard of the palace, taking Adah upon a route she didn't know. Light emanates from the hue of lanterns that were stride into the ground.

They come to the borders of the eastern woods. Adah hadn't been here before, but Micajah leads with confidence, through a small clearing and following a small trail. Eventually they come across to a lake, surrounded by flat land.

The moon is large, and high, glimmering in the night. It's accompanied by hundreds of stars, all twinkling in the depths of the dark. The water is stark, and flows in small waves. The surface shimmers. It was dark, and completely empty. The trees were tall, and thick, with long branches coveted with leaves, secluding them. It was beautiful.

Her eyes are mesmerised, too struck on the natural beauty before her to notice Micajah had retreated a little away from her. Her eyes follow him, the brown hues wide. Her heart flutters. There was something that was set up. Upon the grass laid a thick blanket. The blanket had other baskets filled with food. Adah could see fruit hanging out one of them, and a glass of champagne in the other. A little away from the blanket, was a fire that had been set up. It was surrounded by logs, to stop it breaching out further. The fire crackled quietly, giving light and warmth.

Micajah sets down the basket he had held, his form turning, eyes finding Adah. His expression is tender, eyes doting on her surprised expression.

"It isn't the most gallant first date. It's just a picnic," his face grows a little timid. Adah doesn't say anything, features a little dazed. She plants herself into his chest, his arms wrapping around her.

"I love it," Adah murmurs, nuzzling into his hoodie. Her head tilts up. Micajah's relaxed, kissing the top of her forehead, his cheeks blessed with the slightest blush.

"Uh," he clears his throat, pulling Adah by the hand to come sit with him. The fire's warmth encases both of them. Adah sits, with her legs crossed, watching Micajah rummage through the picnic baskets.

"I made fried chicken – that's why I bought that basket with us, to keep it as warm as possible. I also made some pasta salad, with some mash. That's all. There's some fruit if you want, but I wanted to keep it small and simple," he murmurs. Adah just stares at him, eyes loving.

"There's dessert too. I made tiramisu," he trails off, and Adah grins.

"It sounds yummy," leaning forward to look over, and feeling his form relax again.

"Thank you," her voice is soft. Micajah doesn't say anything, expression tender.

"Let's eat, before everything gets cold," he mumbles, rummaging through the basket and through the layers of cloth and towels he had wrapped the food in. 

Adah just grins, heart feeling content.

A/N - idk, it might be really mushy and stupid. sorry.