Chapter 10

^
Hanna's bedroom in Aaru.

                        °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

I looked at my reflection in the mirror as I sat in my room. I scoffed to myself.

Was I even to call it my room?

This wasn't where I belonged. Maya made that emphatically clear. My hair was wet, seeing as I just had a bath and I dabbed at it lightly with a towel. I was currently wearing silk pyjamas from Ayla.

She had given them to me, in the morning, telling me that the material had just been exported in from the East, a mere 2 weeks ago. I had chosen them, burgundy red, my favourite colour.

I looked closer at my reflection, tracing a tanned hand along the wound on my face. It wasn't a scar, but the skin was red and extremely tender. I winced when I grazed over it too hard and I sat down on on the vanity chair, brushing through my hair.

A knock resounded at the door, making me jump in my seat.

"Hanna, dinners ready! Come eat with us!" Arun's light voice rang out from behind the door and I sighed deeply.

Having to see everyone after what had happened was not something I wanted to do. I don't know, if I was making a big deal out of this or not, but I was too embarrassed to face everyone, especially Maya.

I cleared my throat, putting the brush down.
"No, thanks, Arun. I'm not hungry." I said quietly, but Arun had heard and he sighed deeply, his fingers drumming against the door.

"You have to come; you'll love what we have. It's like a feast down there!" He let out, his soft voice sounding as though he's going to break out in song. I smiled at his words before shaking my head and cursing when I realised that the door was shut.

I cleared my throat yet again.
"No, thanks, maybe another time." I said politely and I heard the sound of another sigh.

"Very well, Ma'as-salāma, Hanna." He said wilfully and then I heard the sound of his footsteps moving away and down the corridor.

I breathed in deeply. Today had set off a turmoil of emotions within me.

Everything that had happened and everything I had learnt, I just couldn't take it anymore. I shook my head, trying to put some order into my thoughts. I didn't know what to do- should I leave or should I stay? I had so much things I wanted to do with my life when I left home.

I imagined myself sat snugly behind a desk, at Braxton Publishing. I imagined coming back home to a husband who'd greet me with a big hug and, most of all, I imagined actually being genuinely happy.

Being out of that situation now, I was able to look at my life through a clear view. My life had been miserable. I don't think I'd be able to handle another day through the lifeless routine I had set up for myself; I don't think I'll be able to continue the facade. But, going through all that was necessary for getting what I wanted. I wanted that career; it was my dream career.

But, if Negus was right then I couldn't go back. It was too dangerous. So, what was I supposed to do? Stay here and be mocked by Maya? Remain at a stand-point and be someone they expected me to be- someone I knew I wasn't. I shook my head again. I needed to go back or I needed to talk to someone there. I needed to-

My phone!

Hurriedly, I scrambled off the chair and towards the wardrobe, retrieving the backpack I had taken with me. I unzipped it, scurrying through the contents until my hand felt the desired object.

Smiling widely, I threw my bag back before sitting back onto the bed, grinning when it lit up. Unlocking it, I felt a familiar sense of nostalgia looking at the object, despite it only been around 2 days since I had touched it.