Flint

I don't own Avatar the Last Airbender or Naruto. I now feel obligated to put this thing up every chapter now, though.

▪▪▪

"Sorry, but I don't have time to teach a kid who can maybe Earthbend. I have to get back home." Toph folded her arms and glared in Kakashi's general direction.

They were seated on the floor in Kakashi's kitchen, Tophs back to the wall as she monitered his pulse and breathing.

She wondered when the last time he had swept was.

(The ground was very.... crumbly)

"It's just for a little while." Kakashi remarked, holding that small book in his hand. Toph had really only been able to tell that it was out because of the noise of his fingers on the paper and the pages turning.

"I am sheltering you," Kakashi tried to point out.

Toph slid the stack of this city's money, weird as it was, across the tile. "This is repayment. I can carry my own weight."

Kakashi picked it up. Toph felt his heart rate spike for a second. Was it really that much?

"Where'd you get this from?" He asked.

She leaned back, resting her head against the wall. "Some idiots thought that I would be an easy target in a gambling game. They were wrong."

"What kind of game?" Kakashi asked.

"Card. And don't change the subject. I can't take Sakura. I have to get back." Toph insisted. "They-"

Maybe you should stay back this time, Toph.

She found herself trailing off.

"Look, Toph," Kakashi heaved a sigh. "I have no idea where you came from. If you want to go home, you'll probably have to go to Shikaku. He's the smartest man I know. He should have answers for you."

Toph felt the unpleasant burning in her eyes that signified that she was about to-

She closed her eyes and slammed her fist into the ground. The tile shattered like glass.

"Please don't destroy my apartment," Kakashi said.

Toph stood. "I'm going out."

He remained where he was. "Okay."

Toph left the building and vanished into the night, alone.

▪▪▪

Shikaku felt the faint, civilian-like signature from his couch. He knew instantly who it was, and remained sprawled for only a few more seconds.

Then he stood, picked up the shogi board from its place on the side table, and a large pouch that held the pieces Toph had made.

And then he headed out to see what the Earthbender wanted.

▪▪▪

Toph was standing alone outside of his house, in the dark, though Shikaku guessed it probably didn't bother her.

She looked in his general direction.

Shikaku sat in front of her, placing the board on the dirt, then started pulling out pieces and setting them on it.

Toph sat down with a huff.

The Nara finished with the prep and tapped the ground, gesturing for Toph to go first.

He softly flared his chakra, then felt Hatake do the same, assuring him that he was there.

"How do I get home?" Toph asked, skipping pleasantries and simply getting to the point.