Seyenite

During the mission, Shikamaru had learned a few things.

He had been dreading it for weeks, mostly because he'd have to actually do stuff, but during the trip he'd decided things might not entirely suck.

He was wrong.

He was so, so wrong it was almost funny.

"Well, well, well," Asuma-sensei said. Only people who'd known him well would be been able to hear the slight waver in his voice. "Itachi Uchiha. What a pleasure. Who's your friend?"

Because yes, that was the face of the killer of an entire clan. Itachi Uchiha, pale skinned with ebony hair, tear furrows deep in his face. Next to him, with their back turned and standing besides him, was another person in green silk, black hair braided back.

Shikamaru shifted, and glared at Ino when she seemed about to say something. It would be best for everyone if they let their teacher handle-

The other person turned. Shikamaru looked into blind, staring eyes and froze.

Toph.

Toph.

All of his inhibitions fled. He stepped forwards, ignoring the frightened hiss Ino gave him, and ducking under Asuma's outstretched hand. "Toph? What're you doing with this man?"

Why did you leave Sakura, the village?

Why did you leave me?

"Shikamaru?!" She slid off the seat and grinned. "It is you. Hi!"

There was a dull ache in his chest when he saw her bright smile again. How long had it been since he'd seen it last?

No. Be serious, Shikamaru.

He shoved his thrilled feelings into a box and slammed the lid on shut.

"Hi?" He took another step, ignoring the warning "Shikamaru!" his sensei let out. "That's it? No apology or explanation?"

Her whole face hardened with sudden anger, the lines in her face throwing the scar under her left eye into sharp relief. One hand dropped to the white hilt at her waist (prop? Didn't seem like it). "Oh, I'm sorry for getting attacked and driven out. I should totally have seen that in my future and told you."

He opened his mouth, then stopped, flabbergasted. "Attacked?"

"Yeah, Lazybones," Toph folded her arms, the lengthy sleeves sliding, causing the fabric to ripple. "By Konohan shinobi. Did you think I just up and left? And decided to break Orochimaru out despite knowing what he had done?"

Itachi set a hand on her shoulder. She was so small compared to his bulk. Looking at the both of them together was almost like comparing a tiny, fluffy Pomeranian with a Doberman. "Don't say too much."

She shrugged. "I won't. But it's Shikamaru. I trust him. Somewhat."

Shikamaru gave Asuma-sensei a sideways look. His teacher seemed utterly confused as well.

"I thought Orochimaru promised you something," Shikamaru admitted. "Like, maybe a way to get back to your home."

Toph snorted. "Not on your life. Our deal was only to get each other out of there alive. We're enemies, now."

"So you're not an enemy to Konoha?" He asked, hesitantly.

It was almost too good to be true.

"That's enough," the pale Uchiha activated his Sharingan. "We have buisness to attend to elsewhere. Come, Toph-san."