Chapter 2-GrayWolf Falls

It didn't take me long to settle back into my old room, Mom had left everything how I had left it before leaving. I quickly changed my clothes and plopped down on my bed.

I stared up at the stars spread out on my ceiling. They use to glow at night but they've been up there since I was a little kid and just like my childhood, wore out.

I pulled out my phone and saw I had a message from Ted, my Ex. I shook my head and quickly deleted the message not even bothering to read it.

I heard a knock at my door and sat up to see Kaden leaning on the doorway.

"Mom and Dad want me to give you a tour of the woods." Kaden said. "Since you haven't been here in years, it be a good idea, in case.."

"In case, I take a walk and get lost, I know." I cut him off. "I'll be down in 5 minutes."

Kaden nodded his head and quickly left me to get ready. I grabbed my hair brush and ran the comb through my long brown locks. I took a quick glance at myself and headed downstairs.

My brother was waiting for me at the base of the stairs. He was of course wearing his hunting outfit. I really hoped he wasn't planning on hunting while I was with him..

"Your not planning on hunting while I'm with you, are you ?" I asked.

Kaden shook his head and laughed.

"No, I just like to be prepared, in case we run into any Werewolves." He said and I shook my head and walked out the front door.

It was warm and sunny out, so there shouldn't be any werewolves out. As long as I've lived here, I have never seen one and don't plan to.

"So, what brought you back here little sis ?" Kaden asked me as we walked. "I thought you said you weren't coming back because all Mom and Dad do is nag you about being a hunter !"

I glared at him, he was always kissing their butts.

"Well, I flunked out of College, my Ex-boyfriend burned my apartment down and I got fired for stealing even though I didn't." I said as I kicked at a rock beneath my feet.

"Jesus, that is a lot. For what it's worth. I'm glad you're back." Kaden adds.

"Really ?" I asked. "I thought I was just your annoying little sister ?"

Me and Kaden had a love/hate relationship. Sometimes we got along and other times we were at each other's throats.

"You know I love you Hales. Don't be silly." Kaden said pretending to be hurt by my words.

Kaden gave me a tour of the entire GrayWolf woods. It was honestly nice, for once In a while. I felt peace. We wandered the woods for a few hours, until it started to get dark.

"We should head back." Kaden said. "Dinner will probably be ready. Come on."

I stopped him and was about to ask him about Echo lake but then that feeling came back. That feeling someone was watching us.. I looked around but again saw nothing but trees and shrubbery.

"Hailey ? What's wrong ?" Kaden asked, concern laced in his voice.

I jumped when I heard rustling from behind us, okay...these woods were still creepy as ever.

"Never mind, let's get out of here." I said and started walking back the way we came.

Back at home, I sat at the dinner table opposite my parents as we ate our food. Dad of course talked about his most recent hunt with Kaden. Apparently they had almost bagged the Alpha WereWolf.

"We'll get him next time, Dad." Kaden said. "We're Lovetts and Lovetts never give up."

I rolled my eyes, oh boy..

"That's my boy, you will make a great head hunter one day." Dad beamed. "Hailey you should join us next time, I know you said you didn't want to. But I feel it be good for you."

Oh, here we go again....

"Picture it, Me, You and Kaden. Hunting as a family and ridding the world of pests." Dad prattled on.

Wait, he didn't mention Mom ! That scar on her arm came to mind.

"Mom, did you stop hunting ?" I asked.

My mom gave me a sad look and pulled her sleeve up to reveal the nasty scar on her arm that I had seen when I arrived.

"I was attacked and was hurt badly enough I can't hunt anymore." Mom said sadly. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I just didn't want to worry you."

Mom being attacked, just gave me further reason not to become a hunter.

"It was that damn Alpha Wolf that attacked your Mother, I won't rest until I have killed him." Dad said. "That's why it's so important that you learn how to hunt, Hailey. Not just for the family legacy but to protect yourself."

I knew this conversation was coming... I mean I knew I needed to know how to protect myself. Specially in this town, where Werewolves were on the hunt. But I also didn't want to be pressured into joining the clan because Mom couldn't hunt anymore.

"I'll think about it. Ok ?" I said after a long silence.

My Dad smiled, seeming happy that I didn't say no immediately.

"Great. We'll be like the 3 musketeers !" Dad said and Kaden groaned.

We hated it when Dad would call us that when we were younger. It was so cringe we would shut him down the moment the words came out of his mouth.

"Dad, we almost went 4 years without you saying that." Kaden groaned.

Dad chuckled and Mom just looked at them disapprovingly.

"May I be excused ?" I asked. "I'm tired and just want to go get some rest."

"Of course sweetheart. Have a good sleep." Mom said.

I get up and clear my dishes and am about to head upstairs when my Dad speaks.

"Think about what I said, ok Hales ?"

I quickly nod my head and go upstairs to my room. Once I'm showered and in my pjs, I get into bed and fall asleep.

And I ended up dreaming about meeting a boy at Echo Lake.